16|The Revolving Doorway

To recap this delightful tale, Mai had allowed inebriation shock her brain circuits and sink into the wounded embrace of Henry. It was the most spiriting experience she had had in a long time and Henry, oh Henry; he could not keep away. As his injuries healed, he found million little reasons to be close to her, to touch her— to kiss her. She found traces of him, strands of blonde hair, the vanilla scent of his shampoo, all over her all the time. The  passing weeks had been good to them. 

At the moment, her mind was at war. 

Mai eyed the empty house, taking her time to weigh her options. If she chose to purchase it, there would be little left to do anything else. That didn't sound like a good bargain. She sighed heavily.

"Just buy it already." Henry chimed. Mai eyed him next. He was failing miserably to smother a mischievous grin. 

She kissed her teeth "No, I think I'll pass. You're acting suspicious." Henry laughed a full bellied laugh, watching on as she reached for the dices, shook them vigourously and dropped them onto the board. 

The sum total came up to 9. Mai picked up the corresponding number card and grimaced. She was going into debt. Henry quickly gave in to laughter earning a glare from her. 

"I'm not playing again." she huffed, pushing herself up from the floor. Henry was a vicious winner. 

"I'm sorry..." She paused, looking expectant. "that I'm better at this." 

Mai hissed as she grabbed the empty mugs off the table. His teasing cackles followed her trek to the kitchen. Like she said, a vicious winner. She placed the dirty cups in the sink and began to wash them. 

Barely five seconds in and he was hovering next to her just as she expected. His breath fanned the side of her face. It was both chocolatey and cinnamon-y from the hot chocolate he'd finish consuming a few minutes ago.

"Are you mad?" 

No "Yes" she lied. 

He pressed gently against her, "Really?" his voice dropped a few octaves. 

There was a sudden shift in the air. Her heart rate ticked up, hammering steadily against her rib cage. She hoped he could not hear it. Knowing he was waiting for a response, she shook her head as she transferred the dripping mugs onto the dish tray. 

"Good." He laid a chaste kiss on her cheek and stepped a few paces back. Mai turned to him, watching him for any sign that he was also affected by what had just happened. 

But then again, what had just happened

"How about another game?" he asked. He was right beside her, partially doused in light pouring in from the hallway. Clad in a simple white t-shirt and cotton trousers. Looking at him now, there was little to show for the injuries he'd sustained a few weeks back.

"How about a drive?" 

His brows knitted, "A drive? Are you sure? It's freezing outside and you hate the cold"

It was indeed and she did to some extent. The coldest months were upon them but Mai couldn't pay much mind to her aversion in that instant. 

"I'll cover up well." He looked unsure. "Please! We've been holed up in here all day. I could use some air even if it's cold."

"Okay" She perked up immediately, following closely behind him as they made the trip up the stairs. 

The plan was simple. Get ready and circle back in 10. Mai made it with a minute to spare. Henry was already waiting.