𝟏𝟐. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐲𝐦 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐂𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐭. 𝟏

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

"Goodbye! Thank you for your patronage!"

Lilias waved as the last customer for the day, a businessman who had bought two bouquets for his wife, strolled out of her shop. She then took a look at the crisp business card he'd left on the front desk: Macro Cosmos Tech Representative.

With an apologetic frown, she swiped it into the trash can below; she wasn't interested.

"Alright, now I should clean up and get ready..."

Today was the day of the Gym Challenge Ceremony. Lilias, like a lot of the local businesses, was closing up early to either tune in to or attend the event. In the case of the florist, it was latter, Alette managing to nab an extra ticket for her using her connections. The Kalos-born reporter was going to swing by later and pick her up so they can attend together.

"Oh! Actually, I should check on the bouquets for the kids first...!"

Scurrying over to one of her flower coolers, she peeked in on the aforementioned floral pieces. Three identical bouquets of red and blue blooms reflected back on the glass, the different-colored ribbons being the identifier for which was for who: green for Hop, blue for Gloria, and red for Victor.

Lilias dropped her chin onto her palm; she had considered making one for Raihan too, but ultimately scrapped the idea, figuring it would be weird, considering they'd only just met that one time at the café in Wedgehurst.

"...Okay!" She stood up, clapping her hands. "Let's get ready!"

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

The crowd of people waiting outside Motostoke Stadium seemed to stretch on forever, despite having been diverged into four lines. As a result, the hired help were quickly overwhelmed, running their feet to the ground to tend to one person after another as the sun beat down on their backs. "I'm sorry ma'am, but you can't cut ahead just because you have a baby! Please be patient," one of the employees pleaded, while another ran after a child who had stolen his walkie-talkie.

"Arceus! I think this year might be a record turn out!" Alette yelled to be heard over the people, unrolling the event pamphlet to fan herself. "I wonder why, though. The Champion's the same, as are the Gym Leaders."

Lilias nodded politely as a man and his daughter squeezed past her, moving her flower carrier out of the way and adjusting the straps of her top. It was so hot that sweat was making the ropes of fabric cling uncomfortably to her underarms; she desperately wanted in on the stadium's air conditioning.

"I think it is because there are some notable endorsements this year," she pointed out, Alette craning her head to hear her. "Leon endorsed his younger brother, Hop, and his friends, Spikemuth's Gym Leader Piers is supporting his sister Marnie, and Chairman Rose apparently has a protégé."

She learned the last bit from a Rotogram rumor account.

The Kalos-born reporter "ah!"-ed, shaking a finger in recollection; the two stepped forward when the line began to move. "That's right!" she exclaimed. "How could I forget? Knowing that kind of stuff is my job!"

As the two friends shared a laugh, the throngs of people continued to crawl along at a slow pace, more and more frustrated vocalizations erupting as the sun loomed overhead, relentless with its sweltering assault. At one point, Alette sighed worriedly, rubbing her clammy neck as she went up on her tiptoes and scanned ahead.