Chapter 10

Tom and Cassiopeia were standing in the vicinity of Avery's house, in the shadows of the trees nearby. Tom glanced at the house. Everything seemed peaceful and quiet. He shrugged. "What the hell did Avery think, touching the mark?" His voice was even but Cassiopeia could tell that there was a hint of curiosity ringing in it, and a little annoyance.

She was looking at the house as well. Then, following on a sudden impulse, she quickly pointed her wand at herself, non-verbally performing the spells she had always used to turn into Cynthia O'Leary.

When she slowly walked closer to the manor a few moments later she didn't resemble her true self anymore.

Tom watched her, his eyes narrowed. Even though so much time had passed since he had last seen this appearance he could still recall the anger and fury he had experienced upon finding out about Cassiopeia's secret double life. He forced the memory to the back of his head and instead concentrated on watching what was happening. Cassiopeia went straight to the entrance door of Avery Manor and knocked. Tom exhaled slowly and leaned against a tree, watching her attentively.

Cassiopeia had only waited a few seconds when a house elf opened the door.

"Yes Ma'am?" the elf squeeked.

Cassiopeia looked back at the elf. Then she asked, "Is your master at home?"

"May I inquire who is asking, Ma'am?" The elf bowed to her.

Cassiopeia plastered a smile on her face and answered with a sweet voice. "Just tell him it's someone he's been waiting for. He'll know."

The elf bowed again and disapparated with a loud crack, leaving Cassiopeia standing alone in front of the door.

After a moment she heard footsteps approaching along the hallway and Avery appeared.

He threw her a confused glance and narrowed his eyebrows. "I'm sorry but..."

Cassiopeia didn't wait for him to finish his sentence. With a quick movement she grabbed his arm and pulled him into the spinning darkness of sidealong apparition. Seconds later they reappeared next to Tom who was still standing in the shadows of the trees.

He had been following Cassiopeia's show with a grin on his face. Without her having told him what she intended to do he had instantly known what she was up to. So the moment she reappeared with Avery next to him, he was ready. In the fraction of a second he grabbed the sleeves of  both Avery and Cassiopeia and pulled them into yet another apparition. If anything was off at Avery's house, if Avery had tried to set a trap for him, then these two apparitions would surely shake off anybody who was trying to follow them.

A moment later the three of them were standing in a dark forest and Tom quickly cast a silencing charm around them before pointing his wand at Avery.

Avery looked more confused than ever. His gaze quickly went from Tom to Cassiopeia and then back to Tom.

"My lord," he stammered and bowed his head. Then he looked back at Cassiopeia. "And who are you?" He narrowed his eyes.

With a fluid movement of her wand, Cassiopeia lifted the charms she had put on herself and her appearance turned back to normal.

Avery's eyes widened just the slightest bit. "Houlton? But I thought you were...." His voice trailed off and he left the sentence unfinished.

"I were dead?" Cassiopeia asked, and gave a short humourless laugh. "Well, I can assure you I thought the same. But sometimes it's just as if he could do magic". She nodded her head towards Tom.

Tom suppressed a grin and turned to Avery. "So, Avery, how come you used the mark? That's not that common amymore, these days, is it?"

Avery instantly flinched. "I'm sorry, my lord. I didn't mean to disturb you, but...." He paused.

Then he pulled a parchment from his robes and handed it to Tom. "I wanted to ask your....advice...", he mumbled.

Tom looked at the parchment filled with a schoolboy's handwriting and quickly scanned the text. Cassiopeia tried to catch a glimpse of the writing but before she could decipher what was written in the letter, Tom handed her the parchment and said with a deliberately calm voice, "Seems that brother of yours had some offspring on the continent. And obviously they are quite nosy."

Cassiopeia suppressed a gasp and quickly read the letter herself. She tried to hide her excitement in front of Avery but reading so much about her daughter after not having been able to see and talk to her for such a long time was really hard.

Avery looked at Tom and Cassiopeia. "Maybe I was overreacting but I thought you ought to know that there was this girl inquiring. Even though I didn't even know you were still alive. I just thought about... the old days.... you know..." His voice trailed away again.

Tom nodded. "That was very thoughtful of you. You won't answer any of these questions. I assume I can rely on your skills as always?"

Avery bowed his head. "Of course, my lord. Nothing about all of this will ever be known to anyone else."

Cassiopeia was still looking the letter and Tom cleared his throat. "Even though it may be fascinating for you to find out you have a grand niece, you should give the letter back to Avery."

Cassioepeia looked up and handed the letter back to Avery. Then she cocked her head. "Your grandson...how is he?"

Tom and Avery both looked at her as if she had lost her mind but Avery quickly collected himself and a smile spread on his face. "Titus is a good boy. He's friendly and studious. You can have great chats with him. He's..." He paused for a moment, then he repeated, "He's a good boy."

********
Two weeks later, Grace was sitting in the Slytherin common room when Titus approached her, a letter in his hand.

He took a seat on the sofa next to her and leaned back. Then he exhaled sharply, waving the letter in his hand, "Sorry to disappoint you, but my grandpa was of no help. He says he doesn't remember much about your great-aunt." Titus shrugged apologetically.

Grace looked at him, a small smile on her face. "Thanks for trying anyway."

Later that evening she was lying in her bed, thinking about their conversation. Following on a sudden impulse, she turned to her bedside table, opened the upper drawer and pulled out a book she had stored there. It was a book bound in black leather and it was completely empty. She had found it in her mother's desk at Houlton Manor during one of her visits there, after her father had shown her the manor. Grace took her quill from the bedside table, opened the book and started writing.

Yet again no information.

The ink stayed on the parchment for a few seconds before it vanished. Grace gasped. She was still staring at the now again empty page when suddenly a neat handwriting started appearing.

So sorry to hear that.

Again the ink stayed a few seconds before vanishing again.

Grace looked at the page, her eyes wide with astonishment and excitement. She quickly sat up in her bed. After a moment she wrote again.

Who are you?

My name is Tom Riddle. The book replied. And who are you?

Grace gasped again. Tom Riddle. Like in her father 's Tom Riddle? It couldn't be a coincidence.

I'm Grace Houlton. Are you the former Head Boy?

Grace drew a deep breath. The book took a moment before it replied.

I guess that's me.

Do you know Cassiopeia Houlton?

Definitely.

Can you tell me about her?

No. But I can show you.

Grace stared at the page. It seemed to open up, revealing a fiery crack which seemed to grow larger and stronger and suddenly pulled her inside the book.

**********
Author's note: Thanks so much for reading. I know it's been an awful long wait and I truly apologize...
Comments and votes appreciated as always :)