First Lie

'Pink polka-dot dress or fade - out jeans with blue top?' I ask myself. I pick the jeans and top combo and enter the bathroom.

' first day of school, in a new town... exciting, but I'm not exactly keen on it. Will people like me? Or find me weird? What happens if it's like last time?' I think while brushing my hair in my jewel - encrusted mirror. I quickly shake my head. ' don't bother yourself, aliyah, just fake it till you make it.' I nod my head at that. I re-enter my room to grab my bag and race downstairs.

My mom is sizzling bacon and eggs while my dad sits at the table reading the newspaper. "Who reads the newspaper anymore? Twenty-first century dad." I say.

"Unlike most, I consider reading is good to work brain muscles and live longer." He replies without lifting an eye. I sit down with him as my mom turns around with a plate full of food.
"Never mind your father, are you nervous for your first day?" Says my mom kindly.

"Sort of. But it's not my first day of school, like kindergarten. Back then I was scared like hell."

"Aye. Watch it."

" 'hell' isn't a bad word mom. They play it in PG movies. I think."

"Still. Finish up if you want to take the car."

I finish the serving I had and take the keys. "Bye!" I yell before slamming the door. I'm going to get lectured tonight, but that's the least of my worries at the moment.

I drive around the still unknown area and follow the robotic woman's voice of my GPS to get to school while checking my face in the rear view mirror. As I pull up in the parking lot, I only notice a row of 4 spaces available to students. Then I look around to see students looking at my car. Guess there aren't very many students who own cars.

I get out with my bag, and people are staring at me. I lock my car, people are staring. ' Do I have something on my face? I coud've sworn to have checked it on the way here...' I take out a pocket mirror from my sweater and check. Nothing.

I head to the office. The secretary looks like she isn't even 18 yet. "Hi! How may I help you?" She doesn't even sound like she 18. How old is she?
"Uh, I'm new? Aliyah Herion?" I ask.

"Let me see... oh! Here we go. Let me go get your schedule, Kay?"

She gets up and leaves to the next room. She's wearing a mini Jean skirt with a jersey written: ' this is my New Jersey' on it.

I take a seat next to a girl who looks my age.

"So you've met Miss Jolla, hum? Guessing you're guessing how old she is, hum?"
She says quickly. I nod my head.

"Well believe it or not, ha, she's 43."
I looked at her.

"For real? She looks like she freaking 14!" I exclame.

She nods her head.
"The wonders of plastic surgery. Go near the end of the school, you'll see the personel photos, year of 1982. To die for! The name's Dylan."

"Aliyah." I wanted to say more, but I didn't know what. This girl had something, and I liked it, but i still didn't know what to say.

Miss Jolla enters the room again with a stack of papers. "Here's your schedule, locker combination, student ID and late slip. These are oher stuff." She says.

"Late slip?" I ask.

" you need to get installed and pit things in your locker, right? And Dylan here is going to show you the school." Replies Miss Jolla, already at her desk. Her desk is full of flowers.
Full of candy too.