Chapter Three

Beginne am Anfang

"It's great to meet you all," you smile, and Adaman echoes your words, before raising an eyebrow slightly as Steven approaches him,

"Adaman, your neckpiece is fascinating," he muses with a soft smile, "Is that really a diamond adorning it?"

"It is!" Adaman smiles, relaxing as he gets the chance to talk about something that's so important to him, and your heart warms as you see him gesture enthusiastically as he talks, "It was a gift from my grandfather, and I wear it everywhere. You see, back home I'm the leader of a group called the Diamond Clan, and this is a symbol of my role as leader. Before me, it was my grandfather's, and dates back in my family for years before that too. It reminds me of my grandfather, and of my duty to be the best leader possible for my clan, so it's really important to me."

"That's amazing!" Steven smiles, his eyes shining, "The diamond is a truly remarkable specimen, and the story is incredible too of course."

"Thank you," Adaman smiles warmly, and happiness fills you at the sight of him becoming more relaxed by the minute on Pasio, "I'd love to tell you more about it, if we get a chance."

"Oh no, he doesn't want to do that," comes a voice from behind you, and you jump slightly before turning to see Wallace standing next to you with an amused smile on his face, "Getting Steven talking about anything to do with stones is certainly dangerous - I fear if he does that your boyfriend will never get away for Steven talking his ear off."

"Does he love stones that much?" you chuckle, noting the way Wallace's eyes shine when looking across at Steven despite his teasing words.

"You don't even know the half of it," he says, with an over-exaggerated mock eye roll that makes you laugh again.

"Oh come on Wallace, I'm not that bad!" Steven protests, a glimmer of amusement in his eyes as he and Wallace start discussing Steven's apparent obsession with stones.

"Don't mind them," comes a voice from behind you, and you and Adaman turn to see Lance approaching with Cynthia after they'd earlier stepped aside to discuss something. The Indigo League champion has a warm smile on his face, but something in the way his eyes are shining tells you he's here for more than just a chat, "Cynthia and I were just talking, and we were wondering if you two fancied a battle? That way we can show you how battles work around here, as well as seeing what you're all about!"

You feel a jolt of nerves at this, but that's quickly replaced by determination - you trust your team's strength unconditionally after everything you've been through back home in Hisui and you're also pretty excited to see what battles are like here on Pasio,

"What do you think?" you say, turning to Adaman with pleading eyes.

"How can I say no to that look on your face?" he chuckles, before adding, "Yeah I'm definitely up for a battle. I might not be as talented at battling as Y/N here, but training together has definitely helped me hone my skills so I'm excited to see what we can do."

"So how do these battles work?" you ask.

"Well here on Pasio we have one Pokémon each for battles, forming something we call a sync pair," Cynthia begins, "You can form sync pairs with multiple Pokémon, but can only use one per battle."

"So I guess the first thing for you two is deciding which of your partners to form a sync pair with," Lance suggests.

Adaman immediately chooses his Leafeon, his most trusted partner, and you decide to go with your starter, Typhlosion, given that he's the Pokémon who you've had for your entire journey through Hisui. As you call Typhlosion out, Lance gasps,

"I've never seen a Typhlosion like that before!" he exclaims.

"Oh yeah, it's Typhlosion's Hisuian form," you explain, pulling out your Pokédex and opening it to Typhlosion's page before handing it to Lance and Cynthia to take a look at.