Chapter 39: Adapt

Start from the beginning

That in itself was a problem.

He needed to fight the Shogun with that particular element.

Aether had only just begun to understand the current that he wielded.

She had created it. Mastered it.

Could he really best a godess at her own nature?

.

.

.

.

Ayato had been rather annoyed that the General was so persistent.

He harbored no hatred towards Kojou Sara, for she is merely doing her job; as is he.

But using her collection of superstitious evidence on Ayaka and the newly made criminal, Aether, she had just enough to force him in for a "chat"

Any ability to decline the offer would be seen suspect, only further giving Kojou Sara evidence to push further. Prying at a wound that wasn't there.

In reality, it wasn't an offer it was an order. A threat.

But, he played along with the general and her pointless games.

She was great at her role in the Shogun's army, that was no doubt; but part of Ayato had wished she could see even just the slightest of the shadow to the puppeteer who pulled the strings.

Instead of doing so, she had even hindered his abilities to further monitor whom he knew was the enemy. Of course, Ayato never planned to enact upon those who have deceived his nation, in the name of protecting those he cares about.

The best he could do was utilize his Shuumatsuban to ensure nothing went beyond the scopes of his own meticulous intuition.

He sighed as he entered the room, fully knowing what to expect from this. Kojou Sara would meet no demands from him, but rather peel away until he confesses.

To which he had nothing to confess; other than setting a plan in motion from behind the scenes. One that should hopefully, reveal the enemy in due time. One that would correct Inazuma's tainted course.

Still, he could help but feel disappointed. For someone who claimed to know the Shogun so well, Kojou Sara, hadn't seen the bigger picture. She hadn't even seen the smaller picture either.

"Take a seat Commissioner?" her voice had came in a question, but didn't fail to deliver it's oppressive tone.

Her words suggest he had an option, but her body gestured something else entirely.

He played along, but his patience was indeed limited. He was a busy man with much more important matters to attend to.

"Please, let's not uphold the charade that you aren't hold pretenses of me." Ayato said as he took to the wooden chair acrossed from her.

Doing so he has grabbed the cup of water on the table between them and casually took a sip.

That particular display from the Commissioner had rather fueled the inner anger of general, Kojou Sara, it was as if he was mocking her.

"Straight to the point then, Commissioner." Kojou's display aggression has only grown  "tell me, just what are you planning Commissioner?"  She asked bluntly

He shrugged his shoulders "What ever do you mean? Are you suggesting I, the Commissioner of the Yashiro Commission  and head of the Kamisato clan, have an secret motive?"

He played coy knowing she had fully expected no upfront answer.

Her brows furrowed and her eye twitched to his response, as she attempted to remain composed.