Morpheus nodded and Orchid nodded back.

     "And the people here are terrible about tribal feuds.  Pakistan is in a terrible place now, because they border India, which isn't part of the Arab States.  And they certainly have very old aversions to anyone who is just too light or just too dark.  And Darkling!  It's impossible for Darkling to keep homes and jobs for long, even in Karachi.  I don't know what would happen to them if they couldn't all live here in the Village under protection of the Haven."

     "But, you're gay and white and American and Darkling, and they don't really hate you," David said to Orchid.

     "Well, certainly they don't show it.  But they do fear me, they do wish I would go away."

     "But he just won't," Morpheus said, smiling.

     "I love this place too much," Orchid sighed. "It's got such potential.  We've got to get Pakistan a governor who will make the people want to unite, all of them.  But, Darling, my point is, even without the fear Sadian will be feared.  Between she and Trip and whatever various others they might take up with they could populate the world with their kind.  And they are stronger and less susceptible to disease than humans, and they are less dependant on blood for nourishment than Vampyres.  And they might blend in with the humans more easily than Halfangels.  Yes, if I were one of the ignorant human masses I would fear them the moment I suspected they were different.  And you know when humans fear they channel it into hate.  And after hate builds, well, they act."

     David thought about Orchid's words.  He walked back to his shoes as Orchid and Morpheus were walking toward the house.  "I suppose, Orchid, it would be worse to watch your child hated."

     "Yes, it's always worse watching it happen to people you love."

     "But there is another kind of fear," David said as he caught up to them.  "There is a fear I have of your power over me, and it does not inspire hate, it causes me to respect you, to honor that power."

     Orchid took David under his arm.  "Darling, you are not one of the ignorant masses, and I think you are blind to my faults, but you are correct, there is that sort of fear.  The only difference is in where the fear is chanelled.  And hating me would be unwise, David, it really would."

     "Especially for anyone living here."

     "Yes, I suppose many that have come to know me have seen it is unwise to hate me, and so they love me.  Do you think I could sway an election?"

     "Jinnah, Sialkot, or Affan?" Morpheus asked.

     "Jinnah's running?" Orchid asked, "Victoria's husband?"

     They came to the door of the Villa that led directly into a lower room, its floor was already dusted with sand.  "I don't know anyone else who would refer to Ahmed Jinnah as Victoria's husband," Morpheus laughed.

     "Well, we adore each other," Orchid said, "and she has got a crush on me, poor thing.  Do you think if I design the perfect dress for her the people would be inspired to vote Jinnah to the governorship?"

     "How do you know you want him to be governor?" David asked, "He might have positions you don't agree with."

     "Darling," laughed Orchid, "I'm talking about swaying Jinnah as well.  It would be easy, he's practically a next door neighbor, and his beautiful second wife already adores me.  And if the rumours are true, he's got a weakness for pretty young men.  All we need to do is stand a pretty boyish Darkling in his path, and gift Victoria with a dress...Affan's the incumbant, not interesting, and Sialkot's a woman, not likely."

Saints of Evil | Trepidation Trilogy | The Empty World Sequenceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें