Prolog

The Beginning

   For once you felt hopeful about this. Having to move school to school due to personal issues was difficult, but Jerome Hortwitz Elementary just had a welcoming aura to it. Albeit, with you only being ten years old, it was rather easy to get hopeful about things.

   "Alright (Y/N), we'll pick you up after school, okay?" Your mom spoke as you got out of the car, your dad helping you put on your backpack. "Okay mama!" You responded happily, excited for your first day at this new school. "Don't forget to try and make some friends, shortcake." Your dad said, ruffling up your hair. "I'll try!" You spoke enthusiastically, already going to run into the building before your dad quickly hugged you, "I'm sorry, I'm just so sad to see you go!" He joked, earning a laugh from you. "Dad I can't be late! Wah!" You giggled before he let go and got back into the car with your mom. With that, they drove off, leaving you at your brand new school. You smiled with determination as you ran in, wondering what the day may bring.

   The day apparently brought two trouble makers to your class. You actually liked the class clowns, but they were distracting to the point of annoyance, even for you. You could hear them snickering and whispering about pranks and comics for the entire first parts of the class. Eventually, the teacher spoke up in a yell, "George Beard and Harold Hutchins, can you both be quiet?" The two went quiet for a moment, which relieved you. "Can you be less boring?" One of them spoke up, now your relief was gone. "You two are being really disrespectful," you whispered over to them as the teacher began to get red in the face from anger. "This teacher is disrespecting us with how boring this class is!" The other one spoke up this time, causing you to groan in annoyance. "If you two get sent to the office, I'm going to say 'told you so'." You muttered before turning back around to face the teacher (who had sense managed to calm down and begin teaching again).

   "Oh please, we'll only get in trouble if Melvin tells on us." The one with the flattop said, pointing at a ginger haired kid who was right at the front of the class (no one was sitting around him). "I wouldn't blame him for doing so! You're being insufferable!" You whisper shouted to them, lightly smacking the back of your hand against the table in exasperation. "Great- Another Melvin." The one in the tie groaned. You glared at them for a moment before grabbing all your items and moving seats (the teacher was turned away or maybe they just didn't care). You decided to sit next to Melvin, since most of the seats around him were vacated.

   "What are you doing?" He slightly startled you when he spoke, not looking up from the notes he was taking. "Moving seats," You shrugged, setting down your backpack and getting comfortable in your seat. "I know that you broken tablet, it wasn't an actual question." He stated coldly, catching you off gaurd. Was he always this mean? Maybe from how those other two were acting, he was just annoyed; again, you wouldn't blame him.

   "Is it okay if we share notes?" You asked, glancing over at his paper. As he went to speak you added, "I was distracted by those two." You had pointed at George and Harold. Melvin seemed to contemplate something before sighing, "Fine, you can copy my notes, even though you probably won't even understand them." You happily looked over and started writing down the notes he'd been taking (despite the class being for Elementary math, he'd written down college equations that you surprisingly understood). You even added extra bits to your notes to understand it better, seeing as Melvin had just been plain with his note taking. Once you'd finished, you glanced at him. He looked surprised- and you didn't blame him, you were also surprised when he started busting out college equations, of course he was surprised you understood them.

   "How do you understand that?" He asked, clearly baffled. "I read and study a lot in my free time. I didn't really have many people to talk to so I did that instead." You responded, smiling nervously. Were you embarrassing yourself? Maybe. Melvin didn't say anything after that; he just started to add to his notes and take his focus off you. Honestly you were slightly greatful for that- at least you wouldn't embarrass yourself too much.

   Class went on with you and Melvin being the only two who were actually paying attention (you would occasionally doodle on your paper before glancing at his notes to figure out what you missed). Once the bell rang for the next class, you quickly stood up and began to walk towards your next destination- though you quickly realized you had no idea where you were going.

   You turned and ran back to where Melvin was, he was walking rather slow. "What do you want you unevolved ape?" He asked, glaring at you. "I uh, don't know where my next class is." You admitted rather nervously. He sighed, clearly annoyed, "I suppose I can show you where the class is. What room is it?" He asked. "It's gym," You responded, Melvin's face falling quite quickly. "Great, we have the same classes so far, wonderful." He was being very sarcastic, "Let's just go," He groaned, grabbing your wrist and beginning to lead you towards the gym.

   This was going to be a much more interesting start than you thought.