~Chapter 1~

I shoved open the door of the new apartment my roommate and I had rented out for the school year. "I still can't believe you talked me into moving here" Edwin sighs, running a hand through his black hair as he glances over at me as I toss my bag onto the couch "well, Florida is warmer than New York, right?" I chuckle. He smiles gently with a shake of his head "I'll go change then you can show me around West Palm" he calls as he starts walking into the bedroom he chose.

I watched him disappear before going into my bathroom, brushing out my hair that was in a long undercut style. I grew up here in West Palm until the age of 15 when I moved to New York to finish high school and start college. I moved because my father had gotten an offer to work at a big deal company in the Big Apple, another reason being my first love committed suicide two months before I moved.

As I changed into my favorite black long sleeve crop hoodie, black short shorts, and black knee-high velvet boots, I thought about the possibility of running into Cain tonight. I hadn't seen Cain since he confessed to me 5 years ago. I wasn't in the right mindset to start a relationship and I was moving. Cain was a good guy, though very immature and naive, he was friendly and kind. Honestly, he was my best friend growing up and I cared about him, it's just that I fell in love and he told me at the wrong moment.

I sigh, shaking my head to rid my thoughts, even if we did run into him it would be awkward. Edwin was studying to be a doctor and he was 3 years my senior, we connected within those 5 years together and he helped me out of my dark place. He was smart and understanding, so when I told him I was moving back to Florida for college, being the caring friend he is, he packed up and bought a plane ticket for himself as well. I put on my black eyeliner and mascara, honestly, it's been an interesting 5 years. I found out that I was genderfluid so on occasion, if I felt more feminine, I would wear girl clothes, like now.

I step out and grab my phone and wallet before plopping down on the couch to wait for Edwin. When he finally steps out he's wearing a black button-up undershirt and dark jeans with black boots, he adjusts his round silver wire glasses, the silver chains jingling slightly. I stand and grin "come on, there is a seafood restaurant downtown that's good" I assure him, taking his hand and dragging him out of the building. We slipped into our rental, which was a black jeep without the doors. I started the jeep up before pulling out of the parking lot.

"How are you doing? I hope you're not getting any more flashbacks like 3 years ago" Edwin states, glancing over at me as I stop at a red light. I shrug, turning my turn single on "not a single one, I just don't wanna think too much about it. It was 5 years ago, I've accepted it" I confirm, smiling over at him. He nods and faces forward once more to which I do the same. For 2 years after I moved I would overthink about Grayson's, my love's, death and I would get panic attacks and I would ball my eyes out for like an hour on the bathroom floor. My therapist told me I shouldn't live alone, not even in a dorm until I was completely better, so Edwin stepped in.

We finally pulled into the restaurant parking lot and got out, stepping inside the different smells hit my nose like a wave, it was warm inside and I dragged Edwin over to one of the old familiar tables I used to always sit at with Grayson and Cain. etched into a corner of the table were our names. I smiled gently to myself as I sat down, Edwin taking a seat across from me. We chat carelessly about the school, the weather, and places to go for studying. "So when are you gonna show me the beach?" Edwin asks after we order our food. I shrug once more "we could go tomorrow after school?" I suggest and he nods. I sip on the sweet tea I had ordered and suddenly a man walks over to us.

He had a smile on his face and his skin was slightly darker than my own. His eyes, golden brown, were incredibly familiar. I almost spit my drink out "Hey, Atlas. It's been a long time hasn't it..." he trails off, not knowing what to say. I stared in disbelief at how much he had grown in size "Cain!?" I exclaim, internally I expected this to happen. Edwin looks at me curiously "Do you know him, Atlas?" he asks to which I nod "Cain and I are childhood friends, we went to school together" I say, standing from my seat. Cain nods as he looks into my eyes "after you get your food do you mind if we go to a bar and catch up? If you're not busy of course" he says, rubbing the back of his neck slightly in embarrassment.