Part 3

I knew I was wrong for not to talking to her about it. After all, this negatively impacted both of us. I just felt so guilty about letting our friendship get ruined over a stupid drunk kiss. The same kiss that I replayed every night before I fell asleep. Even kissing Austin, who I had strong feelings for, paled in comparison to the kiss between Lauren and me. I felt my lower belly tighten up and the hunger creeped its way back in the pit of my stomach. I at least stopped denying that the kiss wasn't enjoyable. No matter how hard I tried, Lauren's face always came to my mind right before I got myself off at night. The intense look she gave me when she pulled back from the kiss always pushed me over the edge when my fingers pumped in and out. That look left me mesmerized because I felt like she wanted me. Maybe I was romanticizing the whole ordeal, I was drunk after all, but I felt it in my bones. There was something. It was easier for me to accept that kiss at night when I thought about her than during the day while I tried to go on about my business. The more I tried not to think about Lauren in her delicate pink thong, the wetter I became. Ugh, I was a mess.

One Friday afternoon I was sitting at my favorite coffee shop, staring out the window, on my laptop when I saw her. My heart stopped. I recognized her flowing hair and red bandana anywhere. She was leaving the store next door and was so focused on her phone screen that she walked by without noticing me. My heart finally jumped and my fingers started to tingle. She was almost to her car before I found myself stuffing my laptop in my bag and running out of the coffee shop to catch up to her.

"Lauren!" I called out as I crossed the street. I saw her trip up and stop right in front of her car. She made no move to turn around but I guess she knew it was me. My fear of rejection kept me glued to the middle to the street. What was I going to say?

She slowly turned around and her eyes travelled from my feet all the way up to my eyes. Her face gave nothing away. This was the most serious I had ever seen her. The blood rushed to my cheeks.

"Are you just going to stand there?" She asked, quietly.

I took a deep breath and started moving towards her I gripped the straps on my book bag tightly. My mind went blank. Why did I even think catching her attention was a good idea? Once I stood in front of her I felt my lungs run out of breath. She looked gorgeous. Maybe it was because I was seeing her through different eyes because she was wearing her favorite red pants with and blue and white striped shirt, she looked like her old self. Yet she looked different to me. Her cheeks were now the pretty shade of pink that closely matched her lips. She ran her tongue through her lips and I snapped my attention to her guarded green eyes.

"Hi." I said weakly. I wanted to hug her and bury my face into her hair, which I knew smelled like fresh baked vanilla cupcakes.

She stared at the floor and said nothing. I deserved that.

"Lauren, I am so sorry." I wanted her to make eye contact but she just continued to look at the floor.

"Are you going to disappear now? Because that's how our last conversation ended." She pointed out. She started blinking rapidly and took her bottom lip in between her teeth. She was about to cry. I reached out but she took a step back. "How could you, Camila? You were so quick to run for the hills over something so small. You didn't even let me try and understand what was going on. You shut me out. And that is not okay." A tear ran down her cheek but she whipped it off.

"I have to go." She said when I didn't reply. I didn't know where to start. How could I tell her what was going on through my head when I didn't even understand it myself? I finally found my voice when her hand reached for her car door.

"I'm sorry." I said sincerely. "It's not you, it's me." I hated myself for sounding so cliché and I vowed to never use that line again.

"Is that all?" She asked looking at me. Her eyes remind guarded and her chin rose a centimeter. "I don't think you realized our relationship ended the day you chose to push me out of your life." With that she opened her car door. I moved aside as she pulled out of the parking spot. My scarlet cheeks were now wet and my throat tightened up.