I won't bother jollying around the subject, Kat, because I know you know better. I'm not out here just having a laugh with the boys and getting teased for having a sweetheart - it's rough. It's really rough, and some days I'm real scared, but I know I have to keep going, just like everyone else.

It can't last very long though, all this fighting. Some folks say it'll be done by the time the summer's out, others reckon we'll be home for Christmas.

How fine would that be, Doll? To bring you home to meet the family around Christmas? You'd love it, the house is crazy - and Ma would love you. I showed her our picture, before I left, and I think she knew you were something special. Steve always comes over for Christmas too, and I think he'd be glad I have someone to keep me in check. I wrote to him about you, but he hasn't gotten back. I wrote to him a few times actually, but maybe he's busy. I just hope he isn't too sore about not being let into the army.

I can't write much more though, it's getting dark and the Jerries have been shelling the area trying to find our camp, so it's lights out until morning.

Don't worry though, I'll be alright. I think of you more often than you know.

I wish we'd had a little more time, Kat.

Yours, (and Lord, doesn't it feel funny to write that? I am yours though. You've got me hook, line and sinker.)

Bucky

May, 1943

May, 1943

Dear Bucky,

I can't tell you how glad I was to get your letter. They've been bouncing us around different field hospitals since we arrived but now we seem to finally have settled in one place - they've set up a new one where they reckon we'll be needed most. I think the fighting's going to be pretty bad around these parts, I'm supposing you could probably guess where we are roughly, but of course we can't breathe a word of it.

How strange to think we might only be a few hundred miles apart, but there's an entire war between us.

I'm glad you're getting on well with your company, the girls here are really nice too - and Laura and I got to stay together, which helps. Nothing seems to bond people like having to go through this together.

Thank you for telling me the truth, Bucky, because I'm scared too, and I didn't want to tell you if you were set on putting on a brave face. You're so brave anyway, you don't need to pretend. I'm trying to be brave too, but some of the things we see out here... In some ways our training didn't prepare us at all. Some days we're playing nurse, doctor, surgeon and undertaker all at once.

We've all had to grow up real fast. Sometimes I forget when I look around the ward that nearly everyone here is just a kid - and that's counting the soliders in the beds too.