Chapter 22

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." ~ A. A. Milne

"Sherlock, everything will be fine, I promise."

The detective watched his wife move about the room packing her things, and removing an article from her bag each time she turned her back to him. "You are out of practice," he said, replacing her hairbrush on the vanity.

"So you think," she smiled, snatching the brush up and putting it back in her bag. "I still have plenty of contacts, especially in France," she said, going back to the closet to fetch a shall. "Considering that was the last place he was seen, it is only logical that I go."

Whirling on her heel, Holmes hastily threw her nightgown onto the bed and gave her an innocent look when she turned back. She sighed and rolled her eyes, repacking it for the third time and folding up the shall as well. She closed the bag with a snap. "This is what I do, Sherlock. I want to help John and this is the best way I know how. I won't be gone long. Two weeks at the most. I'll let you know if I find anything, and if you suspect danger, I promise to come home straightaway. Don't I always come back to you?"

She reached out a hand to softly stroke his cheek. He captured it in his own, pressing a kiss to her smooth palm and murmuring, "You nearly didn't once, and it was because of that man. And Hamish..."

Irene's dark eyes flashed. "All the more reason I want to stop him."

Holmes leaned forward and kissed her alabaster brow, resting his head against hers for the briefest of moments. When they parted, he handed her a slip of paper. Unfolding it, she frowned in confusion at the address printed there.

"Mycroft's safe house in the Alps, should you have need of it. Only he and I know of its existence. And Stanley, of course."

"Thank you," she smiled, kissing his cheek.

"You remember the cipher I taught you?"

"Yes. Do you remember the one I taught you?"

"Indeed, Mrs. Holmes."

A light rapping at the door alerted them to Mrs. Hudson's presence. "Your carriage is here, my dear."

"Thank you, Mrs. Hudson."

"It's better this way," she reassured him. "You would draw too much attention, even with one of your disguises. I have a much better chance of going it alone. Besides, Mary needs you here."

Holmes nodded. While their niece had taken the arrival of Simza rather well, combined with her father's illness, and now her aunt's looming departure, Mary had grown rather, shall we say, clingy of late. She rarely left Holmes' side.

As if on cue, the blonde angel scooted around Mrs. Hudson's skirts and raced toward her uncle and aunt. "There you are, my darling," Irene cooed, kneeling so she was at Mary's level. She opened her arms and Mary all but leapt into her embrace. "You be a good girl while I'm gone, alright?" she whispered, kissing her curls and holding her close.

Mary nodded.

"Your papa will need you to be especially brave, and you must look after Uncle Holmes. Keep him away from trouble."

Mary nodded again, but when Irene pulled back she saw the little girl's eyes were filled to the brim with tears.

"What is it, princess?" she asked, wiping away a stray tear or two with her thumb. "Please don't cry."

"Do you have to leave?" Mary whimpered.

"Yes, I'm afraid I do. But not for very long."

"Will you come back?" As hard as she tried to be brave, her lower lip trembled.