Arc 1 chapter 10: a rude awakening

Start from the beginning

"Isn't something about this odd?"

"Yeah. The numbers look too even."

Kanzaki and I had both noticed something strange.

"You've all been doing whatever you pleased this past month. The school has no intention of preventing you from doing what you want. Your actions, such as being late or talking during class, only affect the points you receive. The same goes for how you use your points. How you choose to spend is entirely up to you. We have not put any restrictions on point usage."

"But...why is there such a differences in our point values?" Ichinose also seemed to have noticed that the numbers were too tidy.

"Do you finally understand now? Why you were placed in class B?"

"The reason why we were placed in class B? Weren't we simply accepted into this school?"

"Huh? But classes are normally divided like this, right?"

Students exchanged glances.

Oh yeah, time for the big reveal.

"In this school, students are sorted by their level of excellence. The superior students are sorted into class A, the least capable in class D. It's the same system you'd find in the major cram schools. In other words, class B is praiseworthy, but each of you has some flaw preventing you from being in class A. If you're unsatisfied with this, work to make your class the best one."

"Huh?"

"Your class's points aren't just linked to the amount of money that you receive each month. They're also indicative of your class rank."

In other words...if we should get to 950 points, then class B would be promoted to class A. This really did sound like a company performance review.

"Now then, I have one bit of good news to share with you all."

She stuck another sheet of paper on the board. It listed the names of everyone in the class. A number stood next to everyone's name.

"Judging from these, I can say we've quite a few smarty-pants' in this class." As her heels clacked against the floor, she glanced at us. "These are the results of the short test you took a while ago. Your sensei was so happy at your excellent performance."

With the exception of a few low scores, almost everyone had scored above a 50. Even if you ignored my score, their was Kanzaki, scoring 91. That was very good.

"I'm so glad. If this was an actual test, then none of you would have had to drop out."

"D-drop out? What do you mean?"

"Oh, did I forget to explain it to you? If you fail on a midterm or final exam in this school, then you have to drop out. If we applied that score to this test, anyone who scored below 36 would be out. You guys really are clever, aren't you?"

There was a red line drawn on the paper, just underneath the lowest score. If anyone had scored below that line, then they would have failed.

"Hey, don't mess with us, Chie-sensei! Don't joke about kicking us out!"

"Frankly, I'm also at a loss," the teacher said. "These are the school rules. Be very careful you don't slack off~"

"The teachers right. We can't get complacent." Ichinose stood up. She had scored 5th overall.

"Sit down. Oh, one more thing. This school, which operates under government supervision, boasts a high rate of advancement into elite education and workforce placement. This is a well-known fact. It's very likely that most of you have chosen a college or future workplace."

Well, naturally. This school boasted the highest rates of advancement in the whole country. There were rumours that it was possible to get into a highly competitive school or company just by graduating. Rumours even suggested that graduation from this school was like receiving a recommendation to Tokyo University, the most prestigious of Japan's institutes of higher learning.

"However, nothing comes easy in this world. Only the best at this school are allowed to think that they can easily get into the college or workplace of their choice."

Hoshinomiya-sensei's words carried throughout the room.

"In other words, you're saying that if we want to get into the company or college of our choice, we must surpass class A?" Ichinose asked.

"Ding ding. Correct. To make your dreams of a bright future come true, your only option is to overtake class A. This school guarantees nothing for any other students."

Authors notes
1363 words
Yep pretty much copy pasted.
Hope you enjoyed.