Muddy

"Daddy, please get him faster! He might drown!" I shouted up from my bedroom window, as I tirelessly clapped my hands in hopes that my dad could still save him.

"I got him, Sweetie!" He shouted back.

My dad raised the brown stuffed bear from the small puddle of mud from our backyard.

Before I could even get to him, my dad asked me if he could borrow him for a second to wash all the mud off. The bear wasn't mine, I found him lying in our backyard, under the wheelbarrow and beside the daisies and bushes, sinking in mud.

My dad wouldn't believe it, but the moment I snatched the bear from his hands, I swear he spoke to me and said hello.

Every day, after school, Muddy would sit straight on top of my pink pony bed and tell me the funniest stories I've ever heard.

One time he told me that Daddy was hugging another girl besides mom. What's really funny is that Dad won't hug a girl unless he loved her so much. Before I go to bed, he'd also whisper to me some things like "Your mom is smuggling drugs" or "It's fun to jump outside the window."

I don't know what he was talking about, but I would just giggle, cause "smuggling" was a really funny word.

He was whispering funny things at first but...it was really getting uncomfortable, the things he was saying.

He would sometimes whisper to me to put pillows on top of my little sister's face when she sleeps, so that she'll go to a really wonderful dreamland forever. Our game of "treasure hunting'' was becoming odd, cause he would sometimes lead me to the kitchen and tell me that the treasure will appear when I grab the knife on the counter.

But...even with this, I still don't believe that he wants to do any harm; he pinky promised. He promised that he'll protect me from the monsters outside my window, from the monsters under my bed, and the monsters inside my closet. He will never let them get me.

...

Tic, Tic, Tic

I woke up from a loud tapping from the backyard. Night was covering my room like a big black gift wrapper, but the moonlight that was piercing the darkness from my bedroom window was keeping me comfortable, plus I have Muddy.

Tic, Tic, Tic

I wanted to ignore it, hide under my monster proof blanket, but it was keeping me from sleeping. I knew, from the moment that I stepped my little feet on the cold pink rug, I was making a mistake.

"Muddy, you will protect me, right?"

He wasn't answering that time, it's like I was talking to a normal teddy bear, but I dragged him to carry with me anyways.

I placed a stool to step onto, so that I could peek outside my window. I opened the big plate of glass and looked down to where the noise was coming from.

Tic, Tic, Tic

My body froze, as if fear held me in place and shouted 'Look.'

A woman in a wedding dress was tapping at the windows downstairs. Her elongated arms were crackling each time it bended into three parts. Her nails were sharp like tiger claws with colors of that of a crow. And the eeriest part is that her head was covered by a brown bag, with a rope tied around her neck. Her head was shaking uncontrollably, like a mad man, like a worm dropped on rock salts.

After a few minutes, she wasn't just tapping at the glass anymore. She was banging her head against it, as if she wanted to get in. Slowly, her head tilted upwards, and somehow even with her face covered by the brown bag, I knew that she was staring at me like prey.

In a blink she crawled up the walls to get to me. Her nails dug deep inside the walls, helping her raise her slender body up. she paused when she finally reached my window, I was thrown back. But before she could grab my neck with her crackling hands, the window shut closed.

Cold sweat, heavy breathing, my eyes were almost tearing. I hugged Muddy tightly to slow my heart beating. The woman slowly crept away from the window. In shock, I couldn't find a way to scream for help to call my parents. I hugged Muddy tighter.

"Why would she do that, Muddy?" I asked, putting his round snout near my right ear. A slow, raspy, voice came from the bear.

"Some monsters are just jealous..."

My eyes widen, looking at the round moon peeking at me from the outside.

"...at other monsters had already found their dinner."