Dear Abby

Dear Abby,

We've never met before so this may seem a bit odd, but I feel this is necessary. My name's Jay for starters, I work the checkout line at the grocery store up on 67th Street. You know the one with the parking lot that's way too big for the store itself? Yeah, that one. I'm 24, fairly tall and have a rather scraggly appearance. You probably wouldn't recognize me if I came up to talk to you, I don't have a very memorable face. Heh, I don't really know why I'm telling you all this to be honest...But, this isn't the point of me writing to you. I was working late at night yesterday, it was a very average day for the most part. Nothing too exciting happened, but you'd be surprised how interesting this job can get at times. I'd been reading some book the guy that'd worked that counter the shift before me had left, it was some really crappy murder mystery chock full of cliches. Incredibly boring, if you ask me. But...It's something to do I guess. When you showed up though, my whole night changed. I don't know exactly what it was about you that caught my attention at first, but as soon as I saw you I got this odd feeling. A weird mix between excitement and terror, that's the best way I can describe it at least. I saw you walk into my line and I quickly composed myself, I'd been slouching down in my chair for a while since I rarely get anyone in my line. It was only when you got closer that I realized what about you had caught my attention...You were absolutely beautiful. You walked up and said "hey" and handed me your cart. I could tell by the way you looked that you were very sleep deprived, though this wasn't surprising considering how late it was. After a second or two of awkward silence I realized that you'd greeted me, I suddenly forced out a "h-hi" in response. I cursed myself out mentally for that one.

I sat there for a second, trying to focus. "What's your name?" I said. It's only later I realize how odd this must have seemed, what kind of grocery bag guy asks what someone's name is? I'm glad I did though. I remember, you said you were named Abigail, but that you go by Abby for short. Abby, it seemed to fit perfectly. The name seemed to roll off my tongue as I said it back to myself silently. It was like sweet honey, it just felt good as I said it. You seemed to be perplexed when I looked back at you, and I wondered if I'd done something to upset you. "Shouldn't you be packing those?" you said and pointed to your groceries. Suddenly shocked and embarrassed, I looked up and apologized, then clumsily started shoving groceries into bags as fast as I could. I couldn't believe myself, how stupid could I be? But when I looked up, I realized you were laughing. "You're kind of cute," you said. I tried to play it off cool, but I was obviously thrilled. A girl like this thought I was cute? "You are too" I said, as I hastily packed the rest of the groceries. As you walked out, you turned around as you reached the door and said "Have a good night." I'm guessing I looked pretty stupid writing all this down, you probably still remember it, I mean it did just happen yesterday. But I went home ecstatic that night and with all the confidence in the world. I feel like it's almost unreal writing it back here. Anyways, I wanted to write you this letter Abby to tell you that, I love you. I don't know what it was I felt that night, it was some weird mix up of emotions. But all I know was that even in that small little transaction we had, I felt as if there was something between us.

Please, write back to me soon.

Sincerely,

Jay

Dear Abby,

It's been a week since I sent my last letter and I still haven't gotten a response, but that doesn't matter. How've you been? My life's been just as normal as usual, get up, go to work, go to bed. I live in a really shitty apartment, but I guess that's what you get when you work as a grocery bagger.