Chapter 27

The night before our train to Surat, the four of us sat around in my bedroom and packed our clothes.

Tia and Rani chattered their way through with Maa, talking about how their last day at college went. Maa keenly listened to every little detail they narrated, and I didn't bother to pay attention to anything.

I simply folded my clothes and dumped it in the luggage, angrily. Darshan ruined my mood, entirely. After that incident in the office, he didn't even message me and I kept thinking about it the entire day. I won't even open his message anymore!

"Nivi, keep that suit inside the bag, too", Maa points at the Salwar Kameez Darshan gifted me.

Along with the outfit, he'd written a messy handwritten letter, which read - if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me :) - Darsh.

Obviously, I shoved the letter six-feet deep into my handbag, away from the sight of Maa and my nosy sisters. Honestly, at the moment, I want to tear that letter apart and toss it into a blazing fire, because of the attitude he's throwing at me.

"God. Anita Dongre", Tia's voice melts and she runs her fingers over the material, gazing at it in awe. "Di, can I please have it? Please? Please? Please? Please?", she makes a puppy face. "No! How many times do I tell you?", I scold her in annoyance.

Ever since she laid her eyes on the bag, she has been pestering me around for an 'exchange', which obviously, is not happening between us. I don't care about the brand, but that gift is personal and I wouldn't want anyone to wear it. Not even my own sisters!

"Leave her alone, Tia. She'll buy you the exact same thing, or something better, someday soon", Maa takes the Salwar Kameez away from her, and Tia scoffs. "Anita Dongre?", she smirks. "It would take an entire lifetime of Di's earnings to buy one outfit", she rolls her eyes. "Then, might as well study hard and serve your own needs!", I snap, sarcastically.

"Can I have the earrings, at least?", her eyes are on the earrings now. "Tia, get the hell out!", I yell at her. "Navya, what's wrong with you? Stop yelling at them", Maa intervenes. "Maa, she has been annoying me since evening!", I complain.

"She's lying, Maa. Something's wrong with her and she's venting it out on me. She has been fighting with me since the time she came home. Even if I breathe next to her, she's scolding me!", Tia argues, and well, she has a point. "Maa, she's a liar!", I defend.

"Let it go, Nivi. You're the oldest one here", Maa calms the situation and Tia smirks at her victory. "That's really not fair, Maa!", I stomp out of the room in annoyance and sit in the living room on my own, with my arms crossed against my chest.

I take a glance at the time; it's almost 22:45 and Darshan still hasn't messaged me yet. I stare at my phone for a while, as though he's going to message me any moment now, but obviously, he doesn't. Keeping my ego and anger aside, I decide to message him.

Me : So, you're not sorry about whatever happened in the afternoon?

I stare at the message for two whole minutes, before switching to YouTube and watching a video. Even though the video is playing, I'm barely paying attention to it. Around ten minutes later, a pop-up flashes from him. Shamelessly, I open the message, without hesitating.

Darshan Sir : What happened in the afternoon? 

Darshan Sir : I'll get back to you in a bit, okay? I'm in my cousin's wedding. See you!

I glare at my phone in anger, before slamming it on the sofa and springing up to my feet. I honestly want to smash something into pieces right now. Maybe, Darshan's head. With a vase!