2

August 21

The pain woke her up, her arm pulsating with pain. Angel let out a groan as she tried to pinpoint where she was. The beeping echoed in her head, her vision blurry as she looked around the room. The hospital room, to be more exact. Her vision finally cleared, and she didn't feel as dizzy; the pain brought her to another reality. Angel turned her head, trying to look for the cause of said pain, only to find her shoulder and the majority of her upper arm bandaged up. Angel remembered very little of the events that caused said injury, but she didn't have enough time to go over her thoughts when a knock on the door distracted her.

"Come in," Angel said, seeing as the person wouldn't come in without her verbal approval. Julian walked in, a bag of what she assumed was food in his hand.

"Hey, honey. How do you feel?" He asked, sitting beside her. Angel shrugged, wincing as the moment made the pain worse.

"What happened?"

"You don't remember."

"I wouldn't be asking if I knew, would I?"

Julian rolled his eyes at his sassy friend. Said a friend, who glared at him.

"You got shot. Some son of bitch thought it would be a great idea to rob the apartments. Why? I wouldn't know; I think he was trigger-happy" Angel nodded, going over Julian's words.

"Did anyone else get hurt?" Julian shook his head, stopping before shaking a yes.

"He ended up robbing the car from some chick; poor girl got shot in the leg. I think a couple from the floor below us got some shots too. My Dad is taking care of that, though. Don't worry about them. You got shot twice, Angel." Twice! Angel looked at her arm and then tried to look for another source of pain. Julian wanted nothing more than to laugh at the expression but knew it wasn't the time.

"He shot your shoulder and then an upper arm. He was a lousy shot, though, other than you. The cops told my mom he was right before you." Angel nodded; the memories, though fuzzy, were coming back. Angel leaned back in the hospital bed, closing her eyes as they rushed towards her. A pressure in her chest formed, making it hard to breathe. Her fingers clutched the bedsheets. Angel's eyes opened as a hand enclosed her closed one.

"Hey! Deep breath, kiddo. You don't need a panic attack after being shot. You're in the hospital; I'm here. That's the most important part; your doctor should be coming in soon. We told the nurses we were your foster family, so no worries about them kicking me out anytime soon." Angel smiled weakly at him.

"No CPS?" Julian shook his head no.

"Not that we know off. Hopefully, they won't ask for proof; we live in the same apartment building, and my Dad owns the building" Angel rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, but you have too many siblings, and your parents can only give y'all the essentials." Julian rolled his eyes. "Don't worry about that. Either way, didn't you say your case worker barely paid attention to you?" Angel nodded; as she did, the pain in her shoulder seemed to snap her out of the conversation she was having. With a loud groan, Angel softly touched her arm. Or we'll try to; as she was lifting her hand, Julian softly grabbed it and pushed back down, seeming to know what Angel would do. The girl glared at him before leaning back as the pain seemed not to want to calm down.

"I'm going to call your nurse, or just press this button" Julian leaned over his friend pressing the call button. " I guess the pain meds are wearing off" Angel kept quiet, focusing more on the pain than anything else.

Julian looked inside the room once more before softly closing it, not wanting to wake Angel up. After the nurse had come by with her medication and a quick check-up on the nurse's part, Angel fell asleep soon after. The teen walked to the waiting area where he knew his boyfriend would be. Azreal looked up from the magazine he was casually looking at to see Julian walking to him with a tired expression. Both boys sat in silence, the tv softly becoming background noise.

"What if CPS is called?"

Julian finally broke the silence that had settled between them. The blonde was scared; even though he had assured Angel about it, he was still worried. Angel hadn't spoken to them about the system, just bits, and pieces that came out after she got a panic attack. Julian knew the basics enough to know that the sweet Angel he had met before her mom and stepdad died was gone. Now his Angel had to deal with the trauma of her abuse. Being shot and worried about being placed back in the system wasn't what she needed.

"I don't know, love. The system is not the best thing for a growing child, especially not in Gotham. Let's hope that her caseworker hasn't been called" Azreal grabbed Julian's hand, bringing it up to kiss it. "We can always just run away?" Azreal raised his eyebrow as Julian smiled back at him. "Okay, maybe not the best thing to do."

Doctor Eve Levi walked to her patient, who had been shot while in a robbery gone wrong. Questions were left unanswered by the girl. The family that had come in with the girl had said they were their foster child, but something was fishy. It bugged Eve, as it seemed that they were lying about it. Eve sighed and knocked and entered after hearing a soft come in.

"Good afternoon, Miss Roman" Eve smiled at the sleepy teen. "I'm Doctor Eve Levi; it's a pleasure. How do you feel?" Angel looked up at the blonde, who had barely woken up. "Um, I'm good, other than being shot," Eve lightly chuckled before going over to her and asking her questions. Angel gave short, straight-to-the-point answers. "And your family?" Angel tilted her head. "What do you mean?" Eve softly touched the arm. Angel felt the pressure. "Does that hurt? Feel soar?" Angel narrowed her eyes before nodding. "It feels weird," Angel answered before softly moving her arm away. Eve stepped back before sighing. "Miss Roman, if you are in danger, you can tell me. We will make sure that nothing happens to you" Angel leans back, eyes wide.

"Some idiot shot me, and you suspect my foster family?" Angel snapped, and Eve leaned back, seeing something familiar on the girl. Her expression was regular, but she couldn't place her finger. "I'm making sure that you know, just in case you feel unsafe" Angel rolled her eyes before taking a deep breath. "No, my foster family is not abusing me. But thank you for being worried," Eve sighed, knowing she had messed up. Thankfully the doctor wasn't used to having abused children as she barely started working in Gotham hospital a year ago. She had more disaster patients. "I apologize, Miss Roman."Before Eve finished her check-up and looked at her once more before she moved to leave, Eve could notice familiar things from her, but she shook her head and left. Eve did want to call CPS but needed more proof.

The doctor entered her office, sat in her chair, and looked at the picture on her desk. It always calmed her down before she spotted a specific photo. She won a reward soon after she came back to town. Eve had gotten a picture with a well-known playboy, who had started to fund the hospital she was in long before she came in. Looking at Bruce Wayne made her think back to Angel. Especially the blue eyes both had. Eve shook her head before starting her paperwork.