I glance at myself in the mirror as I pass it, spotting my oversized grey hoodie that's way too big for me and some baggy grey joggers. My hair was in a messy ponytail and I still had my reading glasses on,

i looked ridiculous.

I groan and make my way down the steps, brushing off any doubts about my look.

it was only elijah after all.

I get to my front door and open it widely, Elijah appearing from behind it.

He was leant against the doorway, his hood of his usual black hoodie covering his face, but because of the light in my house you could see his face. He wore grey joggers and dirty converse.

He smiles softly, his dimples popping out on both cheeks.

god i still love his dimples—

shut up ruth.

I move out the way, indicating for him to come in and he understands, making his way in the house.

"Shall I take my shoes off?" Elijah asks me politely.

I shake my head, dismissing it.

He walks forwards and peers around the house, probably taking it all in after all these years.

"Your house stills looks exactly the same." He whispers quietly, more to himself but I still hear him.

I shut my front door and walk towards him, his back facing me, "Is that a bad thing?" I question, raising an suspicious eyebrow.

He shakes his head, "No. No. No. Never a bad thing." Elijah dismisses quickly.

I nod my head, "Okay. Do you want anything? A glass of water? Some food?" 

"No thank you. Do you want anything?" Elijah reiterates the question onto me.

My face scrunches up, "You can't ask me that, your the guest. I have to ask you that." I explain, watching him watch me with a confused expression.

"Well I don't see a problem with asking you that, as I basically know where everything is in your kitchen, house even." He smugly replies, crossing his arms over his chest.

I roll my eyes, "Yeah whatever." I try to hide my smile behind a sneer but it doesn't seem to work as a tiny smile appears on my face. "Come on, let's go up to my room." I nod up to my room, as we were at the bottom of the staircase.

"Inviting me to your bedroom already ruth? Don't we think it's a bit soon?" He teases me, acting fake shocked.

I giggle, and smack his chest lightly, "Shut up Eli." 

My body goes rigid as soon as the name slips out.

eli. what i use to call him.

A sudden silence comes over us both as we both take in what I just blurted out.

"Elijah—" I go to apologise.

"Say it again." He suddenly speaks, interrupting me.

My face scrunches up, "What do you mean—"

He moves closer, "Say. It. Again." Elijah demands.

"Eli." I whisper with so much emotion, looking up at his face.

He smiles softly, "Gracie." Elijah whispers back with just as much emotion.

my middle name. his nickname for me.

We both stare into each other's eyes before I break the silence by clearing my throat.

"Well let's go up to my room then." I cough out, racing up the stairs, not even waiting for him.

I rush into my bedroom with wide eyes, and uneven breathing.

what just happened? well whatever it was, i didn't like it.

I hear his footsteps coming up the stairs, so I try to calm myself down by breathing in and out slowly and closing my eyes.

he shouldn't have this much affect on you ruth.

When I hear the door open and I open my eyes again.

I watch as he walks in, looking around, smiling slightly when he recognises things from my childhood.

He focuses onto something from behind me. 

I whip my head round to see him looking at the teddy on my bed. I smile.

Mr. Snuggles. It was the teddy bear he got me for my 6th birthday.

"I was so proud of that present." He speaks into the comfortable silence.

I don't say anything, he knew I was letting him carry on.

"It was the first present I bought you with my own money. I felt so fucking independent. I remember buying you the teddy bear because I knew you would keep it, even when you were to turn an adult. I knew you would keep it. Maybe that's why I was so proud of it. I don't fucking know." Elijah explains, walking towards my bed and grabbing Mr. Snuggles.

I look as he stares at it, reminiscing the memories that one teddy holds.

"That was probably one of my favourite presents you ever got me." I admit, going to sit down on the bed, opposite him.

He chuckles and shakes his head, "I thought that would be the case. And I'm glad it was."

I nod my head, agreeing.

I hesitate on my next question but decide to still ask, "Why—why did you come to my house so late?" 

He clears his throat and looks down, "I knew you were alone." He mumbles quietly.

"What?" I ask him confused, unable to hear his incoherent words.

"I knew you were alone." He repeats, louder this time.

I pull back and look at him with a surprised expression.

huh?

He seems to realise I still don't understand and he further explains, "I was walking back to my house, and as I seemed to pass your house, I realised there were no cars parked in the driveway, your porch lights weren't on. And I know about your history with your parents. I knew you were alone ruth. I didn't want you to be alone." He admits slowly, looking at me with a saddened expression.

My eyes narrow, "So what? You came here because you felt pity for me? Being alone and all." I sneer, utterly offended that this was the only reason he came.

i don't know why i was so annoyed. 

maybe i was just finding a reason to push him away before he leaves me again.

His face drops and he shakes his head, "What? No. No. No. That's not what I meant." Elijah denies.

I stand up, "Oh Elijah I understand perfectly." I reply angrily.

"Ruth—" He pleads, standing up as well.

"No." I stop him. "I would like you to leave Elijah." 

And if I didn't think his face could drop anymore, it does.

"No, please Ruth—" He begs, stepping forward.

"Go." I dismiss, saying nothing further. 

I didn't have to.

He sighs, accepting that he was not winning this.

"Please sleep well ruth." Is the last thing he says before he makes his own way out.

My heart aches at the mention of his words.

he remembers. my insomnia when i'm alone. he remembers.

....

A/N:

guys stick with Ruth, even though right now she's testing me.

i still adore her, i can't help it.

let's not forget to mention it's a slow burn.

this won't be an easy love story.

i love you all and thank you so much for the support.

<3