Frankly speaking, you didn't know how you and Levi ended up in this situation. When the new batch of recruits arrived, they started to make bets on which Captain was the strongest in terms of hand-to-hand combat. And from the list they made, you and Levi came to the top.

Levi said it will be a good opportunity to show these new soldiers what hand-to-hand combat really is. But he also told you he'll go easy on you, which didn't sit right to you since you dislike being looked down on just because you're a woman.

"Who'll be the bad guy?" you asked and Levi took out a coin.

"Heads or tails?" he asked.

With a look of confidence in your eyes the side of your lips turn up in a smirk. "Heads."

He tossed the coin in the air until it landed back down and Levi opened his palms. "Heads," he said.

You threw the wooden knife towards him, to which he caught easily. "You'll be the bad guy then."

The rule of hand-to-hand combat was simple. To subdue the one with the knife and take the weapon before you get tackled down on the ground.

You took your jacket off and tied your hair up while Levi stood casually, watching as you finished tying your hair up. Once you're done you walk towards him and both of you get your stance ready until Mike announced the start of the combat.

You were the first one to attack, because you knew Levi isn't going to make a move. You knew it wouldn't be easy too, he's trained in The Underground and he had handled real knives as early as when he was barely ten.

But you had your fair share of combat training and thanks to your height and build, you can move easily and swiftly, not to mention you're also quite flexible.

Still, you couldn't take the knife from him. If it's a real knife Levi would have already stabbed you five times by now. You tried to close the gap between you two, because you knew Levi isn't going to bring out his fighting skills all-out.

But when you thought you can take the knife from him, he had tackled you down the ground. Your fall was cushioned when he held your wrist and placed his foot behind your head so you wouldn't hit the back of your head on the ground.

Levi moved his foot before he bent down and helped you up as Mike declared him the winner. And while the soldiers were talking amongst each other, Levi moved closer to you to examine your face and body but you pushed yourself back and took your jacket.

When most of the soldiers dispersed, you headed back to the headquarters while Levi followed closely behind.

"He went easy on her," the recruit tending on the stables earlier said. "He definitely went easy on her."

You knew he went easy on you, yet you still lost. But it's not like Levi can just hand you the knife so you could win. At least you tried your best to take it, but he's just too good at hand-to-hand combat as much as he's good with his 3D Manoeuvre Gear.

While you were walking down the empty corridor back to your room, you suddenly felt your head throb followed by your vision spinning for a second so you stopped walking and leaned on the wall. Not a moment after that you felt hands on your shoulders.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Levi asked. He made sure to cushion your fall but he couldn't be sure you weren't hurt anywhere else.

"No, I'm fine," you answered, straightening up. "I just got a bit dizzy."