Chapter 7

Isabela didn't stir until a few hours after. Mirabel having told the doctor what happened and begged him to go along with what Isabela wanted everyone to think.

Thankfully, Mirabel was also next to her when she woke up. Wincing at the feeling of the stitches.

Mirabel M.: Isa! How do you feel?

Isabela only hummed as a reply, eyes closing tighter.

Mirabel M.: Oh.

Isabela croaked out a weak response.

Isabela M.: Why am I here? I feel weird.

Mirabel laughed nervously.

Mirabel M.: So, you tried to do—that. Pretending you lost them so they didn't find out about Dolores, yeah?

Isabela nodded. Then she sat up, against Mirabel's urges, eyes wide with the realization.

Isabela M.: Why didn't the arepas work...?

The doctor entered, carrying an arepa.

Doctor: Alright. You are okay to walk. But follow these steps to ensure that recovery passes quickly, and they don't find out the arepa didn't work this time.

It was clear that the doctor had informed the family of the news. That Isabela had supposedly miscarried. And that he doubted she could ever have children.

Which was actually true, according to him.

Doctor: Your Mamá's gift relies on whether or not she can identify what the injury is. If she doesn't know what the problem is, she can't heal it. So you'll need to pretend to be better. I'll give you both a moment to read through the recovery steps and get used to it.

Isabela nodded, a grateful smile on her face despite the pain she was in.

Isabela M.: Thank you.

Isabela pushed herself off of the bed. Feet pricking with discomfort as she placed her weight onto them.

Then, she took a step. Then another.

Then, she was pacing around the room like she normally would. Holding back the pain she was in to the best of her ability.

Isabela M.: Do I look alright?

Mirabel nodded.

Mirabel M.: Kinda... Oh! Maybe you can use the lie to your advantage. You'll look suspicious if you don't act upset, after all.

Isabela frowned, folding her arms.

Isabela M.: I'll also need to make sure everyone backs off of Dolores and Mariano. If they get angry and go over to where they're staying, they'll find out everything. And it'll get even worse.

Isabela clamped the tip of her thumb between her teeth. Needing the pain to remind her not to break the skin, or worse.

Isabela M.: I'll... figure that out.

Isabela took Mirabel's advice. Both of them holding each other by the sides. And concealing the fact that Isabela needed to lean on her sister for literal stability.

Evidently, there was a limit to how long she could stand before she started visibly limping. And the pain in her lower torso became extreme enough to want to double over.

Julieta approached her first, placing her hands on Isabela's cheeks tentatively. This made Isabela genuinely cry.

Julieta didn't deserve to be lied to. None of them did.

She really was a coward. So terrified of Abuela and the townsfolk that she was willing to put her family through such a strong pain.

Maybe it would have been better if...

Julieta was none the wiser as to why Isabela was crying. Carefully wiping a tear.

Julieta M.: Ay, Isabela...

Isabela swallowed.

Isabela M.: Mirabel already told me.

Once the stared were directed at Mirabel, the most prominent coming from Abuela, she gave a look. Somehow, everyone caught the cue. Going back to Casita in a somber precession.

Isabela was left alone for a long time after that. Evidently needing time to process and grieve.

Mirabel was not.

Alma M.: Mirabel? Come speak to me in the dining room, please.

Mirabel nodded numbly. Finding that she and Abuela were not alone when they entered the dining room. Julieta and Agustín sat down, followed by Abuela. Luisa tried her hardest to stay standing, despite the obvious tremors in her legs.

As well as her desperation to go comfort Isabela.

Alma M.: Mirabel,

Alma started to speak, but didn't immediately finish. A quick glance at Julieta and Agustín caused it.

Alma M.: Mirabel, the doctor didn't give us many details. What happened?

Mirabel first thought of Isabela's main concern.

"I'll also need to make sure everyone backs off of Dolores and Mariano."

Going with immediate memory and blurting out the first thing that came to mind that wouldn't put Mariano and Dolores in more danger.

Mirabel M.: It was stress, according to him. Your arepa healed her, Mamá. She'll just need some time to process.

Some time to heal, more like...

Alma's eyes narrowed.

AlmaM.: Stress alone doesn't cause a—what else happened?

Mirabel swallowed. One thing coming to her immediately and letting it loose before she realized what she'd done.

Mirabel M.: Not even he's sure. Maybe if she hurt herself yesterday or something?

Alma blinked. Muttering at first before actually replying.

Alma M.: Marquez, thank you for telling me this.

Isabela M.: You pinned it on Gloria?!

Mirabel flinched.

Mirabel M.: No! I just said that you could have hurt yourself yesterday. Abuela was the one who jumped to conclusions!

Isabela paced around her room in a panic.

Isabela M.: No... No no no no no! What is Abuela going to do to her?! She might get banished, or worse!

Mirabel squeaked out a suggestion.

Mirabel M.: Maybe you could tell her that it wasn't Gloria that did anything? That it happened at a different time yesterday?

Isabela shook her head as she folded her arms. Still staring at the ground.

Isabela M.: No. She doesn't listen to me anymore, Mirabel. There's nothing anyone can do! I just hope if she gets banished that—

Mirabel stepped forward, hugging her sister.

Mirabel M.: She'll be fine. If anything, I'm surprised you aren't jealous. If she gets banished, she'll be able to see the outside world. She can still have a chance at becoming a priest. She can be herself, without the judgment of people who have known her all her life. And—Well, this applies more to us, but...

Mirabel almost stopped herself from saying it.

It hurt to think that Isabela would do this. Even more the fact that Mirabel was the one suggesting that she do it.

But, it was in her best interest.

Mirabel M.: But, she can pretend that magic doesn't exist when she's out there. No gifts. No candle. And no expectations to go along with them.

As if a picture had been taken right there, Isabela's eyes lit up.

Mirabel conceded to the hurt that would follow.

It was the best option for her sister.

Free of the gifts.

Free of the expectations.

Free of the guilt.