changing (l.h)

"this is luke

"this is luke."

ellen introduced her son to the little girl who lived next door. y/n had just moved to the neighborhood and ellen wanted the girl to feel welcomed.

"tell them your name." y/n's mom said.

"im y/n."

"cmon y/n, you're so slow!" luke yelled out to his friend.

"im sorry i don't run or play sports like you do." y/n said, out of breath.

the two had just chased each other around the neighborhood because luke had called y/n a butt-head.

typical eight-year-old things. right?

"little lukey's got a crush." jack snickered, shoving his brothers arm. luke looked at him confused.

"oh come on luke. we both know you like y/n. why don't you go ask her out?" jack suggested.

"we're only thirteen though." luke said.

"so? just go." jack shoved luke towards y/n who was painting her toe nails under the tree.

"hey y/n.."

"y'all are such a cute couple." the elderly lady said as she left the diner.

luke and y/n we're out at lunch like they always did on the weekends. y/n blushed and looked away.

"you know we have been dating for three years." luke said.

"im surprised you even remember how long we've been dating." y/n chuckled.

"so this is how it's ending?" y/n asked.

"it doesn't have too." luke argued.

"you just told me you're going to michigan for college to play hockey and that you want to focus more on hockey than me." y/n scoffed.

"and you just said that you were going to alabama, a school you hate. that's across the states y/n. you said you wanted to go focus and become a social worker." luke said.

"when? when did i say i was going to alabama? i never told you i was going there. you're just accusing me of going to a rival school." y/n yelled.

"i never said that." luke said.

"you kinda did."

"no i didn't."

"god luke, you are so immature. i can't believe i dated you. we were never meant to work out. we're done luke. don't call me or nothing." y/n slammed luke's bedroom door and stormed back to her house.

"are you ready to go back home for the summer?" y/n's roommate and friend, emmy, asked.

"not at all. i'll have to see my ex almost every day. it's not going to be fun." y/n sighed.

y/n ended up going to penn state while luke went to michigan like he had said. she had managed to steer clear from him while she was at home, but now that summer was here, she was forced to see him.

the plane ride wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. y/n was anxious to go back home. if she could, she would stay at penn state.

y/n grabbed her suitcase and waited for her mom to pick her up from the airport. when her mom arrived, she immediately got in and sat down.

"how was your first year of college?" y/n's mom asked, a big smile on her face.

"good. glad to be home." y/n replied simply. her mom started the drive and y/n wasn't ready.

"luke came home last week, i thought i'd let you know." her mom said.

"mom, stop telling me about luke. we're not dating anymore and i plan on staying away from him for the whole summer." y/n said.

the two got to their house and y/n got out of the car. she pulled her suitcase out from the trunk and then closed it.

y/n looked up, seeing all three hughes boys sitting on their porch. they were looking at her and y/n felt awkward.

she rolled her suitcase up to the front door and went inside. y/n immediately went up to her bedroom and looked out her window, showing right to the hughes' porch.

y/n saw luke get up and start walking towards her house. she closed her curtains and quickly ran downstairs. she opened the door and ran into luke.

"luke. hi." y/n said. she was planning on getting something from the car, but she had hopped she would get to the car before luke would get to her.

"i saw you come home. how was college?" luke asked like nothing had happened at all.

"you want to know how college went for me after you accused me of going to bama?" y/n scoffed. she shut her front door and went to the car to grab a pair of earbuds. it was something random, but it worked perfectly as luke followed her.

"i never accused you y/n. you basically called me immature." luke argued.

"we're really doing this again." y/n mumbled.

"you've changed so much while you were away. we were just kids when we dated. maybe we could change things." luke offered.

"i didn't change luke, i just grew up. i learned what's best for me. if i have to lose people to get where i want to be, then i'm okay with that." y/n said.

"you're right. we were kids, but we can't go back and change things. what happened, happened for a reason. we were never meant to be together luke. it's best if you just stay away from me like i have been doing with you." y/n shut her moms car door and went back inside.

luke watched and then looked at his brothers. there was no way he would be getting y/n back like he had been planning too.