Chapter 2: Your safe

"Toma"

"Maki, Are you alright?" 

"Yea yea, all good. Are you busy?"

"No, I am not...Why?"

"Good, meet me at the park by my house."

"What?"

*Call ended* 

Toma wasn't an idiot. He knew when something was up with his best friend, so once he heard the slight strain and worry in the other voice he knew something was up. But what? He couldn't say. Guess all he could do it go and find out.

-

"Maki..?"

Maki was sitting on the bench, hands rested beside him. He was looking down, watching his feet swing before looking up at the mention of his name. 

"Hey Toma..!" 

There it was again. That didn't sound like Maki, no. Toma had known him since they were kids and Maki's claim of being alright was a lie. This has just confirmed it.

"What's wrong."

Toma walked over, sitting down beside him. He wasn't leaving without an answer. 

"I told you, I'm f-"

"No. You're not."

Maki let out a sigh of defeat. Damn Toma and his knowing of him. 

"Guilty..." 

"What's wrong."

"I just tried to kill my dad but I was to much of a weakling to do it."

There it was. Toma just stared at him for a moment. He said it so...causally. It was scary.

"What?"

"You heard me"

He was speechless really. Toma wasn't exactly shocked, more surprised. The thing that threw him off was how emotionless the other seemed. He just tried to murder someone and he seemed unbothered. Or was that just an act..?

-

They sat there for a while in silence. What would they say?

"You hate me, huh?"

"I don't hate you, Maki."

"Then what's with the silence?"

"I'm just confused on how calm you are about it."

Maki chuckled. Calm was the farthest from what he was feeling right now. 

"What?"

"I'm not calm at all"

Toma raised an eyebrow, scooting closer. All Maki did was let out a shaky sigh. He'd been holding it in pretty well this whole time but it was starting to break. Fuck. It wasn't like Toma hadn't seen him like this; that's not what he was worried about. What was he worried about? Well it was too late now, as the tears were already falling. Maki squeezed the bench tight, facing away from Toma. So embarrassing...

"Shit, your crying now."

"I-I'm sorry, I just-"

Maki let out a soft sob as Toma pulled him into a hug. Maki melted into the touch as he sobbed into the others shoulder. This felt...nice. For once he felt safe. But that wold all end soon....

-

405 words