Chapter 34

Three months later.
Lower Diabaig, Wester Ross

It's taken us three months but we're finally here together. In my happy place.

It's mid October and it appears we're the only ones here. The way I like it. Quiet apart from the occasional noise of a bird.

"What do you think?" I ask Chris, as we stroll up the small pier.

"It's amazing," he smiles. "It feels like we're the only people in the world right now."

"Told you, didn't I?"

The last three months have been incredible. I didn't really expect anything less, to be honest. We've managed to fit so much in together. I'm edging ever closer to being able to quit my non-website jobs; Paige has also managed to nab a long term acting job so she has less time to come away with me, leaving more opportunities after all for Chris to join me whenever he can. I've also reconnected with Kirsty after all these years, who is over-the-moon (and oh-so-smug) to be a cog in the machine to help push me and Chris together.

Every day I feel more and more grateful to have him in my life, so glad we found each other again.

Each day I find out more about him and that tiny list of facts, started in my teenage diary and continuing in my brain as an adult, grows longer. Such as:

He's got a black belt in karate. He started doing it in his twenties. (He does still swim, by the way.)

Pixar films cause him to well up. I often put one on to torture him and see if I can make him cry properly. I'm mean like that. 

He loves travelling around Scotland nearly as much as I do. 

Our road trips are frequent. Full of off-tune singing and laughter. This one has been no exception. 

I smile out at the loch, closing my eyes and basking in the early autumn sunshine. It's unseasonably warm today and I'm completely here for it. I sigh happily and turn back to Chris.

He's leaning against the wall and holding a ring in his hand.

"W-what?" My hand flies to my mouth. 

"I know it's fast," he says, with an anxious smile. "But . . . As far as I'm concerned it's been a fucking lifetime since I first saw you and fell for you." He laughs. "Even if you couldn't see me. It just makes me feel like since we got together everything has just accelerated and I don't want to wait to do this. And I feel like I have to do it here. In your happy place."

"Go on then," I say, feeling my eyes prickle with tears. "Ask me."

He drops onto one knee, his light brown eyes raking my face seriously. "Emilia McManus, will you marry me?"

"Fuck yeah!" I shout, probably cheapening the moment somewhat. I don't care. Laughing in delight, Chris slips the ring on my finger and I throw my arms around him as he stands back up. In my favourite place in the world, with my favourite person, a magical thing has just happened, and I finally feel everything clicking into place.

You don't forget your first love in a hurry.

I was just lucky enough to find mine again. 

~~~~~The End~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed! 

I'm going to start working on a new story very soon but in the meantime I have another complete story (also a romcom) called "Charlie's Web" available - feel free to check it out!