Chapter 6

I opened my eyes to bright lights. I was lying on something cold, hard and metal. I squinted and moved my arm up to shield my eyes. Or, should I say I tried to move my arm. It wasn't moving and upon examination, I found it to be strapped down.

"She's awake. You said she wouldn't wake up!" I heard a squeaky voice not far off, yelling.

"She wasn't supposed to wake up! Don't blame me; I'm not the one who put her under! We've got to go through with it anyways. No one will hear her crying out in here." another voice argued.

I froze. They were talking about me. I was the 'she' they were talking about. I knew there was no chance of faking being unconscious, not if I wanted to live. They already knew I was awake, anyways. What was the point? Either way I'd be killed if I didn't get out of here fast. I struggled against the bonds, making way too much noise to even consider getting out of here unnoticed. And, as if on cue, a balding man in a stereotypical white lab coat came through a set of swinging doors to my right.

"If you stop moving, it'll be faster." he told me straight-faced.

"Not a chance, white-coat." I snarled, struggling more.

"And here, I was about to offer you a sedative. I think she just lost her chance." Balding said to a dark haired man in an expensive looking suit. He nodded and Balding held out a surgical-gloved hand. "Scalpel."

"You wouldn't dare." I said, hoping that the words came out in more of a menacing growl than the terrified squeak that was going on in my head.

"You can't do anything to stop it, alien girl." he said with a smirk. I wanted to slap him. Well, actually I wanted to get the heck out of there, but there was an equally slim chance of that happening.

I closed my eyes, getting my mind prepared for mindwalking. Apparently they took it as a go-ahead sign because a few seconds later I felt a pain in my gut as something sharp sliced me. My mind leaped at them as my eyes opened. I narrowed my eyes against the light as I watched them clutch their heads, dropping the scalpel and forgetting about me.

"What is this?" suit-and-tie screamed.

"Let me go and it'll stop." I commanded.

"It's her? You're the...augh! This is impossible!" baldy exclaimed through the pain. I leveled down the pain a little more so it would be enough for them to concentrate. Enough for them to get me out of here.

"Get me out of here and you'll be pain free." I bargained. "I won't say a word of this to anyone... and neither will you. You'll say that something went wrong and I disappeared. And if they argue with you, give them the thing in the pocket of my jeans. I advise that you use a cloth or something to other than your bare skin to handle it, though." The white coat just blinked at me while the other dived through the door and came back a few moments later holding a brown paper bag. From the yellowy-green glow coming dimly from the bag, I could tell that he had retrieved what I had told him to.

A few moments later, the dark haired man undid the straps around my arms and torso. I sat up to free my legs as the bald man ran from the room. The man in the fancy suit just froze, standing in front of the table like a statue. He still held the bag in his hand, clutching it so tight that his knuckles were red. I shook my head and just stood up to leave. I walked past the shocked bald man and headed towards the set of swinging doors, only to stop and pivot on my heel. I called back to him, "Where can I find him?" I gently thrust at him a mental picture of Blair.

"Sec-second floor, third d-door on the right." he said before falling to his knees. The sound he made on contact with the hard floor sounded painful and if he had been someone else, I might have stopped to check on him. Instead, I took a silver coin and tossed it in his direction before I walked away. I didn't hear any sign of it landing on the floor, so I assumed that he had caught it, proving my suspicions. Money over kindness any day.