Chapter 3

"Miss Fellows, I see that you are not quick to talk." I frowned as this new man talked about me behind my back-most literally.

I shook my head and I felt a hand on my head and I wanted to swat his hand away but I couldn't. I stayed still, though. He couldn't know how much it bothered me. If he knew how much it bothered me, then he wouldn't be here right now. Restraint was my friend. And by friend, I meant my mentor, the only thing that was keeping me going right now. I couldn't leave, however much I wanted to right now.

I had a feeling that he would be quick to 'push my buttons', so to speak, if I showed him that something-that anything-bothered me. I tried hard to keep my face straight but I wasn't quite sure how much it was working. Because I wasn't moving, I couldn't tell if he was looking at me. If he was looking down at me.

I didn't know where it was coming from, but I could feel his gaze on me. I couldn't see him, I didn't know what he looked like but I knew what his gaze felt like. That was freaky.

I shifted a little bit. I could hear a very breathy laugh behind me as he realized my discomfort. He said nothing, though, and I did nothing to amend that silence. It was like something out of a freaky suspense-horror film. All I could hear was him breathing. My breathing was kept quiet. It was hard to hold myself back, to not know what he was thinking, to not force him to make some kind of sound, some kind of action.

Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and I blurted, "Why did you bring me here?" Maybe this man would answer the question that the first one did not? I hoped so, but I doubted that my wish would come true.

"We know what you are and I'm sure you know that, Miss Fellows. We know that you've been here for a few centuries... and we want to know why."

"And who is we?"

"The government." This two word answer confirmed some unconscious suspicion that I had been having.

"What does it matter why I've been here? I haven't done any harm, have I?"

"Perhaps you're just waiting for the right moment, the right century." he droned.

"And what would you do then? Blow up the country? You don't know how dangerous I really am, do you?" I had no idea why I was stringing him along, but it kept him talking. It kept him from going back to the silent type of the first man.

"We wouldn't blow up the country, so to speak..." he trailed off as if to say that they would still blow up something if worse came to worse. This put a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I wished that he would just come around and face me already. These words and these unfulfilled threats of blowing things up were starting to get me curious. He was MUCH more interesting than the last guy that had been in here with me. But then again, interesting could also mean dangerous.

But he didn't show his face any time soon. Instead he just kept talking, talking about how he wanted to protect the citizens of Earth from me, a probably-deadly alien and how he would hunt me down if I ever harmed someone with my mysterious alien powers. Blah, blah, blah. It was the same babble that I had rehearsed in my head for centuries but now someone was actually putting words into the open air.

"We know about the incidents in your past." he said suddenly. That had me really paying attention.

"No. You can't-" I croaked but the nameless man cut me off.

"We do." a pale, meaty hand thrust a holo-cam onto the table in front of me. It started a slideshow without me touching it. IT was a 20-20 definition series of pictures showing the people who hadn't been on the good side of my mindwalking. Those incidents were few and far between, I had thought. But apparently there were now enough of them to draw attention to myself. But even then, there were only five.