Chapter Twenty Eight:

Comincia dall'inizio

I wasn't expecting to get the part. Oh no. I would have to be extremely lucky to receive the part after my first audition for a lead role in the West End. In a brand-new show, no less. But there was always a minor part of my mind that would run off with fantasies. My daydreams showed me standing on that stage after the opening show, with my friends and family in the front row. Whenever I had thought about it, Hunter was there with my friends and family. But now I had to accept the fact that he wouldn't be there. Not anymore. Not that I wanted him to be there now.

As I was reading the script, for what must have been the millionth time, there was a knock on my door. I shouted for the other person to enter, welcoming the break from the sometimes tedious task of script reading. The door opened and Michael stood there with a tentative smile on his face.

"I heard what happened," was the first thing Michael said. He almost seemed scared to ask his next question. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine, I think. It still hurts like mad. But I'm distracting myself and it's taking my mind off things," I replied, indicating to the script in my hands. I tapped the space next to me on the bed and he took that as a sign for him to join me. "I've already received the Ben & Jerry's treatment from Ashley. All topped off with a viewing of The Notebook."

"And that worked?"

"It did. Surprisingly."

After we had both chuckled, we lapsed into a comfortable silence. I knew there was something Michael had come in for, other than to see whether I was okay. Although he was quite wise and very caring, he would run at the first sight of a girl getting upset. He didn't do well with crying.

"Look, I'm so sorry." Michael broke the silence.

"What do you mean?"

"I feel like it was partly my fault that this happened," Michael explained. He wrung his hands together in a nervous gesture. "I was the one who encouraged you to give him a chance. I thought he was a decent guy. I had no idea that he would do this to you. And I swear he should avoid me in the hallway because I don't know what I'd do to him if I saw him."

I laughed because I knew Michael wouldn't hurt a fly.

"Hey, don't worry. No-one knew that this would happen, and it wasn't your fault at all. It's something I have to learn from and try to forget about." I reassured him, patting him on the shoulder. "But please promise me one thing."

"It depends on what it is." Michael chuckled, and I slapped him on the arm. I soon sobered up though because I wanted him to take in these words.

"Never break up with Ashley. Because she loves the crap out of you, and I would hate for her to feel like I have been feeling for the past couple of days."

"Well, it's funny you should say that, because I was going to ask you about something. Now please don't scream or shout or anything. Because Ashley's in the next room and I don't want her to find out," Michael said, confusing me for a moment. I had a fleeting thought that Michael had done something stupid and he was using this time to confess. But I knew Michael was a decent guy... I hoped. Though now we all knew I had a terrible taste in men. His eye flicked to the door for a second, checking if he had any listening ears. He dug his hand into his pocket and my eyes widened when he retrieved a velvet box.

"Is that what I think it is?" I asked.

"Uh-hmm." Michael hummed in agreement. "I bought it today, but I've been planning to do this for ages. Now, tradition says I should ask her dad, but... I'm shit-scared of him. Plus, I don't know how to get his number without looking too suspicious. So, I thought I'd come to the next best thing, her best friend. So... Do I have your permission to ask your best friend to marry me?"

He opened the box, and I saw the most beautiful, sparkling, diamond ring and it became real. Michael was going to ask Ashley to marry him. My two best friends would be married, building a life together, and all grown up. I gasped as tears filled my eyes at the thought of the happiness of my best friends.

God, I must stop crying. It surprised me that I had any water left in my body.

"Oh my god, Michael! It's beautiful!" I squealed, trying to keep the noise down, as not to arouse Ashley's suspicions. "Marriage... Wow."

"Yeah, it seems crazy, especially at our age, but I love Ashley so much. I did from the day I met her. And I've saved up a hell of a lot for this ring, so she'd better appreciate the gesture." He chuckled. But then he became serious. "So, you think she'll say yes?"

"Of course, she'll say yes, numbnuts!" I chuckled, pouncing on him to hug him. "When are you going to pop the question?"

Michael shrugged, scratching his eyebrow. "Dunno yet. I still need to find the right time. I wanted to clear it with you first." His eyes widened. "And I now realise how insensitive I've been. Coming in here talking to you about marriage when you've been through a breakup. No less than 24 hours ago. Oh god, I'm so sorry."

"Please stop worrying. I'm fine, don't worry about upsetting me. I've gone through enough upset in the past few days to last a lifetime. And you'd better ask her soon." I ordered. "Because it's about time we had some cheer and happiness in this apartment. Lord knows I've brought the mood down. Just because I'm not getting my happily ever after anytime soon, it doesn't mean that you two can't."

Okay, so aliens must have abducted me or something because I had turned into a soppy mess.

"You're so wise." Michael joked. "And I am going to do it soon... As soon as I grow the balls." We both chuckled, and Michael stood up from my bed. "Right, well, I'm going to go back to the living room. If Ashley asks, I was in here so long because I was unleashing my epic line-learning skills on you."

I laughed. "Let's at least come up with an excuse that she'll actually believe."

As much as I loved Michael and he was a fabulous performer, it took him forever to learn his lines.

"I'll let you come up with it then." He laughed as he neared the door. "See you soon. And chin up, yeah? It's never as bad as it seems, and you still have me and Ashley."

"Thanks." I smiled.

Michael waved me goodbye and shut the door. I picked up my script and began to read it, only this time, I had a smile on my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's only one chapter left!

Song of the chapter is Marry You by Bruno Mars for obvious reasons. 

Hope you enjoyed this filler-y chapter and any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

Until next time my lovlies!