I don't get paid enough to care

Start from the beginning

He had only taken the job because he really hated what he had been doing before, and his roommate had pointed out the ad in Screws, Bolts and Hairpins. He had been welcomed quickly, considering the lack of prerequisites for the position. He had spoken to the previous night worker, Frank, who had been moved to the dayshift due to his inability to move. He was an old man with a PhD gone to waste. It made Pitch wonder if the classes he were taking would even be worth it in the end.

That wasn't something he wanted to think about just then. He cranked the volume on his car stereo and mentally braced himself for whatever horrors he would experience at work that night.

It was worse than he thought.

Half the security bots were spinning in circles repeating the same phrase.

"Warning: Tampering with Fazbear Automated S.T.A.F.F. will result in suspension of your membership."

The other half were either on their sides or the ground or completely frozen in place. Some were doing their jobs mostly correctly. The janitor bots in the main lobby were mopping and sweeping away. Only lifting and dropping their mops, as if they were rinsing them in a bucket. He patted a wet floor sign as he walked in, wandering down Rockstar Row to the break room. He heard Roxy crying somewhere in the hall, some exposed servo sounds and Monty repeating himself with "come here little guy."

Pitch was already ready to go home.

He made it to the breakroom and dropped his bag onto a chair, picking up the clipboard that held his nightly tasks and then some. He scanned over it with his eyes, deciding that the most important at the moment was finding the only unaccounted for robot. Pitch didn't recall his manager even mentioning the bear in his ramble about the problems with the animatronics. But there it was, written in red ink below all the black pen and heavily underlined.

FIND FREDDY

Pitch put the clipboard in his backpack and stripped off his overwhelming outer layer. He threw his bag over his shoulder and slid the mandatory Fazbear Flashlight into his pocket. They had a lot of trouble with endoskeletons wandering in the lower levels, and apparently Moondrop had been incredibly active, corroding Sunny's files and turning off the lights whenever he wanted. He would have to be the next one Pitch fixed.

He really wondered how they were still in business.

Pitch exited the breakroom, tossing his screwdriver back and forth between his hands. He stopped that fidget when it hit the ground and rolled under a bench. He kneeled down to grab it and abruptly shot up, hitting his head on the underside of the bench when he heard a child laughing. No guests had been there since the day before, and Vanessa surely would have made sure there were no kids left in the building. The animatronics wouldn't have allowed it either. Pitch resigned himself to believing he was hallucinating. He hadn't slept well in a while.

He reached for the screwdriver with his fingertips and carried on his search through Rockstar Row for the star of the Pizzaplex. Heavy stomping had him turning around swiftly, clutching his screwdriver like a weapon. It was eerie being in a building with no functional robots. His eyes blew wide and he exhaled in relief at the sight before him. Freddy Fazbear, perfectly intact, aside from some scratches on his casing.

"Freddy! Where the hell have you been? Tom was losing his mind over you!" Pitch shouted, trying to catch the ear of the wandering animatronic.

"Pitch, please watch your language!" was the response Freddy gave.

"Why? There are no kids present." Pitch narrowed his eyes. "Right?"

"Indeed, there are no helpless children present."