Zapped Senseless

A girl panted heavily, going up yet another flight of stairs. The rain pounded on the outside of the tower, but that did not faze her, being the very least of her problems.

She had climbed all this way, because there was nothing left for her in this cruel world. She had lost absolutely everything. Now, she had no purpose.

Filled with bitter anger and sadness, she continued ascending up this tower, her body aching, and her blonde hair still damp from having walked through the thunderstorm happening outside to get in here.

Lightning crashed, momentarily lighting up the entire narrow space she traversed through, then returning back to being mostly shrouded in darkness.

A cold wind blew through an open window, and she shuddered, yet continued.

Her mind was racing with thoughts of what would happen next. Would she even be able to do this? To take her own life?

She was a little scared, but then reminded herself that there would be nowhere for her to return to if she backed down now, and that there was no other way. It did little to nothing to calm her, however.

Eventually, after a brief glance out of a window, she could see that she was nearing the top, as she got closer to the furious heavens above.

After a few more minutes of walking, her mind running amuck with clashing ideas and thoughts, all seemingly yelling over one another to be heard, she made it to a door. With a bit of effort, she pushed it open, then stepping out onto the balcony.

The rain pelted her, but she did not acknowledge. The thunder boomed from the dark clouds above, but she did not listen.

She approached the edge of the balcony, warily eyeing the drop that awaited her. She swallowed down her fears, and crawled on top of the railing, then standing up.

She was facing what could only be described as the climax of the story that was her life. What fate decided to choose for her now...would determine everything.

She carefully took in every sensory detail in this moment. The cold, unforgiving attacks from the relentless clouds that slid down her skin, and soaked through her hair. The way her skin tingled with anticipation. The swirling sound of wind, and the claps of thunder. The petrichor smell that loomed through the air, with the falling rain.

With a twisted acceptance inside her mind, she now knew if she was indeed meant to perish here, there was little she could do to stop it. The sadness and pain still remained, but she could now accept that this was the end. Now, and only now, was she ready to jump.

With a brief flash, it happened.

A surge of heat crashed through her body, but only for a millisecond, striking fear within her heart, and causing her to let out a half-gasp.

She could barely open her eyes before beginning to fall, off the balcony, and into the cruel world that awaited her below.

Her thoughts could not come through at all. There were only feelings. Feelings of pain, fear, confusion. And as she continued to fall, the line between them all was blurry.

The rain mixed with both the wind and the pain of the bolt led to a strange sensation as she dropped, her body freezing and burning at the same time.

Her lungs were aching, pleading for air, but it was almost as if she had forgotten how to provide it for herself, her brain almost completely shut down.

Her yellow clothing fluttered in the wind as she neared the ground. Yet for some reason...she did not completely touch it.

Her mind would not be able to comprehend it, but she had been caught by somebody.