꧁Chapter Seven.꧂

❝And now again I've found myself

So far down, away from the sun

That shines to light the way for me.❞

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Twelve of their own people died the night before, Obika had lost the fight against the worms, while the sandstorm had caused a swirling storm of glass. Octavia ordered them to take the fallen soldiers weapons and their armor, and to prepare for the retreat. Phoenix did as he was told, though it was obvious he wasn't happy about it at all. A childhood spent walking on eggshells made it difficult to disagree out loud, but the way his brow furrowed and he tensed the muscles in his jaw, told a completely different story.

His body twisted towards the sound of, what Phoenix could only assume, a rover approaching. It's speed like lightening as it came to a sudden halt near Octavia's guards, including Phoenix. His eyes narrowed in as the door to the rover opened, a child no older than twelve shot out of the rover and raced towards a smiling Clarke, the blonde having raced towards the girl without a thought. Phoenix watched the scene with a small smile as Clarke and the girl embraced.

Phoenix turned his attention back towards the rover, a man stepped out waving softly at Octavia, while two other women hopped out of the vehicle. Phoenix stepped away from the guards to head towards Bellamy, but promptly stopped in his tracks as one of the women raced forward and threw her arms around Bellamy. Instead of bothering the reunion of the two, Phoenix found himself standing beside of Miller. The man turned to send a questioning glance at Phoenix, but otherwise didn't ask.

"Who are they?" Phoenix muttered, though his eyes continued to glance at Bellamy and the woman every few seconds. "Should I prepare myself for more strangers to hug me, or am I safe?" the last part was said with slight amusement to mask the guilt he felt for not remembering them.

"That's Monty," Miller pointed to the Korean man with short spiky hair, the one who climbed out of the rover seconds after the kid. "That's Harper, Monty's girlfriend," Miller explained, gesturing towards the girl on the other side of the rover. "And that? That's Echo," Miller finished, his voice darkening on the woman's name. "I don't know the kid."

Phoenix wanted to ask of the familiarity of the embrace between Bellamy and Echo, but the question died in his throat as Octavia gestured for them all to head out.

▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰

"Phoenix, hold up!"