𝚘𝚗𝚎

THE BED FELT empty next to Alexis as her eyes fluttered open, the morning light seeping through the windows into her bedroom

 THE BED FELT empty next to Alexis as her eyes fluttered open, the morning light seeping through the windows into her bedroom. A long yawn escaped her lips as she stretched her arms across the bed before a grin appeared on her face. She lifted her hand above her face, admiring her mother's golden ring wrapped around her petite finger, the diamond shimmering in the sunlight.

Alexis was surprised when Rael had pulled out her mother's ring. Her father had never really approved of Rael, saying she deserved someone with a more stable lifestyle. Perhaps he was right, but Alexis loved Rael despite his hardships. In fact, it only made her love him more. 

Perhaps that's why her father gave him the ring. He couldn't stop them from loving each other, that much they knew. Even if her father didn't like Rael, anyone with two eyes in District 4 could see how in love the two teenagers were. Alexis smiled at the thought, happy her father was finally coming around to Rael. 

The smile quickly faded, her hand dropping to her side as she heard the staff scurrying around the house, preparing for what would be Alexis' last reaping. Taking a deep, Alexis slipped out of bed, making her way to her closet. Browsing through her clothes, Alexis' breath hitched when she found what she was looking for. 

Several minutes later, Alexis stared dully at the mirror in front of her. The sundress fit around her dainty frame perfectly, as though it was made for her. The sea-green pattern contrasting against her pale skin, bringing out the blueness of her eyes. Her blonde hair flowed over like waves of a waterfall, completing the look. 

Alexis looked delicate and beautiful. Just like her mother, her father would often tell her every year when she wore her mother's dress.

Clearing her throat, Alexis turned away from the mirror, unable to bare looking into it any longer. She still remembered her mother. Remembered her ocean blue eyes and her identical blonde hair. The way she laughed was still engrained into Alexis' memory. Alexis knew she was the spitting image of her mother and it's why she hated looking into the mirror. It made it seem as if she was alive again, like she had never caught the deadly disease that swept through District 4 several years ago.

Alexis glanced over her room once more, taking in every small detail like it was the last time she would ever see it. Deep down, she couldn't ignore the pit in her stomach and the way she felt nauseous when she thought about that day's reaping. 

Shaking the thoughts out of her head, Alexis took a deep breath as she slipped out of her room and headed down towards the kitchen where her father was surely waiting for her. Walking down the hallway, Alexis had to cut around the staff who were scurrying to get everything done before the reaping today.

Alexis wondered if any of them had children in the reaping today but brushed the thoughts away as she entered the kitchen.

"Morning, father," Alexis greeted her father as she grabbed the toast off the table, taking a small bite.