CHAPTER 16

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

DEVYN BIT THE zipper of her jacket as hard as she could while gripping Cato's knee. "Just do it," she mumbled into the metal. Cato sighed and put on the first aid gloves as he spread the wound apart as much as he could and reached for the broken piece of aluminum deep in her flesh. She shut her eyes and tried not to scream as he grabbed onto its edge and slowly began pulling it out. "Cato!" She snapped, and he yanked it out. She yelled into the zipper, and Cato flinched. He threw the bloody arrow to the ground and grabbed his canteen of water.

He dripped some over the wound and rubbed it in as Devyn tried her best not to fidget away. They didn't have any bandages, so Cato only put her jacket back on her and carried her to a tree trunk where he set her down. As Devyn groaned and felt hazy, Cato took the time to open the untouched backpacks. He opened two's first, and it had two sets of full body armor from ankle to neck. One was significantly smaller than the other, which signified it as Clove's. Devyn would surely fit in her's. In the seven backpack, Cato found a small jar of burn ointment, night vision glasses, a sleeping bag, and a new jacket.

"Wow, they ripped you off," Cato mumbled, and Devyn glanced at him. Nevertheless, he took the burn ointment and already dreaded hearing Devyn's cries as he applied it. When he did, she bit the inside of her cheek, not questioning what it was. Both knew it wouldn't heal her arrow wound, but it might eliminate some of the soreness from the burn.

"Well..." Cato trailed off, sighing deeply. "You should get some rest; I can take watch," Devyn didn't try to argue and merely nodded, waving Cato over and to wrap himself around her.

"Just watch out for Thresh and the girl from five," she whispered, and Cato nodded, watching as she drifted off to sleep under the darkness of inside his jacket.

***

The following two days were slow as Cato and Devyn sat through a long rainstorm soaking wet. Devyn attempted to make a shelter, but everything was too slippery to secure anything. They spent the majority of the days sleeping in shifts, eating the food they had left, and trying to make conversation. But for once, it was hard. They didn't know what to talk about and what would be too much to share in front of all of Panem.

Cato had also developed a bad cold which Devyn thought might develop into pneumonia. He hadn't gotten a fever, but Devyn was still worried about it. But Cato was just as concerned about Devyn, whose arrow injury hadn't improved in the slightest. It was now infected, and they had nothing to help with it. Unlike Cato, who had weak cough medicine, there was nothing strong enough to cure even her fever.

They were huddled on the ground in Devyn's two sleeping bags as the rain thudded down on their faces and clothes. Cato shivering while Devyn's head felt on the verge of exploding in heat. Their miserable states were interrupted by the Panem anthem startling them. Their heads lifted curiously, and Cato sniffed, still very much congested despite taking three servings of the cough medicine.