CHAPTER 5

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

"I CANNOT BELIEVE you!" Beatrice squealed across the table at Leighton, who rolled his eyes behind his full glass of wine. "Possible note Leighton, when the careers ask you to join them, accept the offer!"

"Yes, well, I don't think I'll need that tip for the future. I'll be dead in a week anyway, remember?" Leighton raised a challenging eyebrow, and Beatrice let out another displeased screech. She slammed her gloved hands on the tablecloth causing Leighton's wine to spill and Johanna's fork to fall to the floor.

"Maybe if I talk with —" Beatrice was cut off by Devyn groaning loudly. Everyone diverted their eyes to her, who was picking at her vegetables distastefully.

"Will you shut up!" She barked, and Beatrice blinked a few times.

"No, I will not because Leighton has created a serious situation for the both of you!"

"Oh, and Devyn's little argument with the two boy wasn't enough," Leighton mumbled as he cleaned up his spilled wine, and Devyn snapped her head towards him.

"You saw that?" She hissed.

"Everyone saw you getting in his face, at least. Although I have to admit that whatever you said was something he probably wasn't told before," a chuckle left the boy's lips, and Devyn glared at him.

"What is he talking about, Devyn?" Johanna asked, and Beatrice sent her sharp look towards Devyn now.

"Cato —"

"You call him by his name?" Leighton interrupted, his face scrunching up in disgust.

"Yes. But he was just being his arrogant self, so I put him in his place," Devyn shrugged, trying to push the conversation and any scoldings coming with it away.

Beatrice snapped her turquoise hand-fan shut in an instance. "That just earned you a one-way ticket to the slaughterhouse, Dev. Congratulations," Johanna said, clearly distressed.

Before Beatrice could shout something at her, Devyn stood up, her chair screaming against the floorboards, grabbed a dinner roll, and walked to the door. "Where are you going?" Johanna called to her.

"Out of here," Devyn replied and slammed the door behind her. When she got there, she stepped into the elevator, clicking the very top button, and it sped up. She didn't know where it went but thought it couldn't lead anywhere bad. When the door opened, she saw the roof of the Tribute Center.

It was crowded with gardens of different arrangements of flowers, many of them being similar to the roses President Snow wore. Devyn cringed at the resemblance as she plucked a rose dusted pink as if it was glowing. She examined its flawless beauty; despite seeing many plants and naturally grown foods, she rarely saw flowers in District seven. She saw most from an expensive shop in the center square that carried handmade jewelry; she couldn't even buy the flowers shown in the display cases.