Katniss then stood up and walked off. The two tributes from seven didn't think much of it until she returned with a small flower bouquet. Leighton finally looked up, his eyes red and strained as he watched Katniss place the bouquet in Rue's hands. As she went to get more, the other two joined, and soon white flowers were surrounding the beautiful young girl that matched the flowers in her hands.

The three kissed Rue's forehead one last time before standing up, collecting their supplies. Leighton took possession of Rue's backpack, and as they were about to leave, Katniss stopped and turned back around. She kissed her three middle fingers before rising them in Rue's direction. The two knew of this old symbol commonly used in District twelve as it was one of the things mentioned in the book about their traditions. It was commonly used in funerals to say thank you or show respect to the person. They were quick to do the salute as well.

They all stood there until they lowered their arms but never moved. With no words exchanged, they all thought the same thing as they looked at one another. Devyn wrapped her good arm around Leighton's shoulders and nodded towards Katniss as a goodbye before walking the two away. She felt terrible for leaving Katniss in such a vulnerable position but sticking together would only end with one of them getting killed. Separating was the best thing to do right now.

The district partners didn't speak as they trudged through the woods, not knowing exactly what to do. But Devyn eventually got Leighton to climb a tree, knowing the careers were out there hunting the bomber. And since Marvel was so close, she didn't think Cato and Clove were far either.

When they settled on the same branch, Devyn leaned against the trunk as Leighton took long breaths. She could tell he was trying to contain himself again, but she also knew he had to let his anger and grief out no matter how loud he was. She nudged herself forward and wrapped him in a hug as he dug his face into her shoulder.

He let out a small cry. "She was my first friend, Devyn," he mumbled and clutched Devyn tighter. Devyn knew he was talking about the games rather than reality because he had friends back home. Or at least they looked like friends. He laughed with them and hung out with them all the time. He must've been talking about specifically the games, right?

"I know," she soothed, running a hand through his hair as he tried to steady his breathing and quit crying. He was in her arms until a loud echo rang through the arena, and they both jumped.

"Attention, tributes. Attention," Claudius Templesmith's voice rang through their ears. "The regulations requiring a single victor have been suspended. From now on, two victors may be crowned if both are well-established allies. This will be the only announcement."

Devyn looked over at Leighton with wide eyes and brought him back into a hug. "We can both go home," she gasped, and he sighed, digging his hands into her jacket.

"You are," he replied, breaking the hug. "With Hadley. You can go home with him."

"What? No, you need to come with me —"

"There's nothing left for me. You have each other still —"

"No, what about your family, your future —"

"None of it matters anymore. I don't want a future anymore," his voice went quiet as Devyn blinked a few times, a frown etching onto her face.

"But —"

"I'm tired. I'm going to go to bed," he cut her off, and she huffed, nodding. She wanted him to get some rest, even if it was still the afternoon. She smiled softly at him before handing him some rope and letting him travel higher to sleep.

***

Cato couldn't stop replaying the sound of the cannons in his mind as he tried his best to get comfortable for the night. He now regretted agreeing to take watch because now he had to stay up and not get the relief of sleep like his district partner was. Ever since the two cannons went off, he had been on edge.

He was terrified that he would see Devyn's picture in the sky at midnight. He couldn't have her die on him, especially after how their last meeting went. He needed to make things right, and he couldn't do that if she was dead. And since the cannons went off earlier in the morning, shortly after all the supplies were exploded, he had to wait for a long time to find out who the fallen were.

He was almost certain Marvel was one of them, which he didn't care about since he would have to die at some point. The only other explanation for why he didn't return to their base was that he got lost or injured and stayed someplace else. But considering the cannons went off when they all started hunting for the culprit of the bombing, he figured Marvel killed someone only to die in the process.

Finally, it was midnight, and the Panem anthem blared out, waking up Clove sharply as they both looked in the sky. The first was indeed Marvel, and Cato heard Clove scoff from beside him, and he chuckled at her. Marvel looked so proud in his photo, not knowing he would look stupid when projected in the sky proclaiming him as dead. Next was the boy from District three, which Cato knew was coming. And finally was the petite 12-year-old from eleven. Rue.

Cato held in a sigh, knowing already that Devyn may not be dead, but she was definitely in pain. And now he regretted ever telling her that Rue was a stupid ally to have, and all the things she told him hit him. She was friends with her. That's why she wanted to protect her. She was something of a sister to Devyn. She needed someone to protect like she often did for Ophelia (even if she was older), and Rue was perfect for that role.

***

The following day Devyn and Leighton decided to distract themselves by hunting. So Devyn went game-seeking while Leighton collected roots, plants, and berries. Before they separated, Devyn gave him the last of the fox she had caught a few days ago and a time to come back to the tree they had marked up with a knife.

Devyn walked through the forest, feeling unsteady as she examined the trees for a bird or squirrel. But she had no luck and moved to the ground around her. She was finally able to get a rabbit after a long struggle. She skinned and prepared it before quickly cooking it, not wanting to store it in her backpack. When it was cooked enough, she stomped out her fire and finally put it in her backpack.

It had been another half hour when something caught her attention. A flourishing grow of what might look like blueberries or elderberries, but once Devyn split one open and saw the blood-red color, she identified it as Nightlock. She then heard a loud thump, sounding a lot like a skull hitting a branch or the ground roughly, which was soon followed by a cannon.