She found an old pocket watch, one she planned to give her father one year when her father bought himself a new one. Perhaps Thomas would have more use for it. She placed it in a box and wrapped it in brown paper with thin rope before writing the letter.

"Dear Thomas,

I do hope I may call you that. I want to thank you for the gift, I shall wear it well. As a thank you for such a beautiful gift, I want to gift you this pocket watch, I hope it serves you well. If you have no use for it, be my guest to sell it or gift it away.

Yours truly, Ophelia"

She wondered if her letter was maybe too informal, but he was the brother of her friend. She placed the letter on the package and asked Anna to post it for her tomorrow. She went to make herself ready for dinner and went downstairs as the first one. "What has you so cheerful" Sybil asked. "Nothing" Ophelia said, but the smile on her face couldn't be wiped off. "Something is going on" Sybil said trying to pry.

"Can you keep a secret" Ophelia asked eventually when they were still waiting for the others. "Yes, of course" Sybil said, and they sat down in the library. "I have been exchanging letter with Ada's brother, Thomas" Ophelia said. "Does anyone know?" Sybil asked. "Not really, although I have asked Mrs. Hughes and Anna for advice when he send a gift" Ophelia said. "It's just letters, Ophelia, nothing wrong with letters" she said.

"Depends on the letter" Mary said, walking in. "I'm not doing anything I shouldn't. I promise" Ophelia said. "You never do, don't worry, my darling" Mary said before they all went into dinner when the last arrived. "We have some news" Lord Grantham said, which made Ophelia note why her grandmother had come. "What news?" the Dowager asked, looking at her son and his children. "I am expecting another child" Lady Grantham said, and everyone seemed stunned.

The silence didn't last long, luckily, before Ophelia spoke up. "I'm so happy for you Mama, glad I won't be the youngest anymore" Ophelia said, and Sybil smiled. "I am happy for you too, Mama" Sybil said, and Edith agreed. It was Mary who seemed to have fallen silent. She was debating even more now to accept Matthew, because if the child was a boy, he would inherit everything.

After dinner Ophelia decided to visit Ada that weekend. She would leave on Friday morning and return Monday in time for the party the Abbey hosted. Her mother was fine with it. She packed her bag and made herself ready. "Are you going for Ada, or for Thomas" Sybil asked walking into the room. "Mostly Ada, but it wouldn't hurt" Ophelia said honestly. "Don't do anything too reckless" Sybil said and went back to her own room.

On Friday morning, Ophelia took the first train to Birmingham, and before lunch she arrived. Ada was waiting for her at the station, with a car and her brother Arthur behind her. "Come on, hurry up" Arthur shouted as the two girls squealed when they hugged. They got in the car and drove to the Shelby house. Ada only had one bed for them to share but Ophelia didn't mind. "Have you got any suitors?" Ada asked when they entered the small living area.

"No, I believe Sybil had one letter from the son of Lord Merton, but that's about it" Ophelia said. "I'm sure you'll get loads of letters" Ada said as she served them tea. "I doubt it, Ada" Ophelia said. She never thought of herself as someone who'd have many suitors. "Have some hope, dear" Polly said walking in the small living room which was connected to the betting shop. "I will, one day I am sure" Ophelia said when Thomas and John walked into the room.

Thomas, or Tommy, who had already seen and indirectly met Ophelia looked pleased and surprised to see her sitting in the living room. "Oh, Ophelia, this is my brother Tommy, I don't believe you've met officially" Ada said and looked from her friend to her older brother. "Pleasure to officially meet you" Ophelia said. "You as well, m'lady" Tommy said nodding his head.

Ada, who didn't think anything of it, smiled at her family liking Ophelia. Yet, it was Polly Gray who looked at her nephew and the young woman who was 7 years younger and, in her eyes, much more of an innocent flower.

Ophelia Crawley was like every princess the little girls around heard about in fairy tales. Her hair was long, dark brown which matched her eyes. Her clothes were worth more than some people's houses around Small Heath. She was kind and innocent and if it weren't for real life, Polly could have sworn the birds and other woodland creatures would come if she only sang or whistle like Snow White.

Most of Ophelia's Friday and Saturday she spends with Ada and sometimes John's children when they babysat. However, on Sunday she woke up earlier than she'd like and sat alone in the small living room, making her own tea. "Surprised they taught the princess how to make tea" the voice of Tommy Shelby said. "I do know some things" Ophelia said. "Do you want a cup?" she asked, her innocent eyes made Tommy's heart swoon.

"Do I look like a man who drinks tea?" he asked, laughing slightly. "You look like a man who wouldn't disappoint a lady" Ophelia said. "Fair enough" he said and accepted the cup of tea. "I'm surprised, I must admit, it's quite good" he said. "Thank you" Ophelia said. There was a knock on the door, and given it was before 7 both of them were surprised. Tommy opened and returned within the minute.

"This came for you" Tommy said. "Post?" Ophelia asked when she saw the letter. She opened it and saw it had been a telegram send to her from Downton yesterday. After reading its context she slapped her hand in front of her mouth. "Everything alright?" Tommy asked.

"Mama lost the baby, it was a boy, no need to come home yet – Mary"

"No, but there is nothing anyone can do about it" Ophelia said, closing the letter again. "Really? Nothing I can do to help?" Tommy asked, given she looked very shaken by it. "No. It's my mother" Ophelia said. "She had a miscarriage" Ophelia said. "I'm sorry." Tommy said. A man like Tommy was not interested in women's business. He didn't care often what his aunt and sister did, as long as they were safe. But this was a kind of pain, Tommy knew a man could feel as well. Her father must feel the pain as well.

And not only they did, but their children as well. The pain on her face was enough for Tommy to reconsider everything in life. He would fight God, if it meant she was happy, and the thought terrified him.

"The others won't be up for few more hours, if you want to have a good cry" Tommy said, which was all he could offer. She placed the telegram on the table, nodding while her hands started to shake. Tommy stood up, walked over to her chair, kneeling beside her. "Cry, darling, it'll do you good" he said, and the tears seemed to fall all at once. He stood up, wrapping one arm around her shoulders and one around her head, pulling her head against his body so she could cry it out. She wrapped both hands around his wrist and forearm crying as much tears as she could lose.

"There, there, darling, all will be alright" Tommy said, consoling her. Neither of them noticing Polly watching them, which happiness in her heart, but also fear. Her family would not accept him as fast as his had accepted her.

On Monday Ophelia went back home, in time for the Church summer party the Abbey was hosting. She felt good being with family again. "How was your weekend?" Mary asked when she saw her sister again. "It was alright." She said. "How is Mama?" Ophelia asked, changing the subject. "As well as she can be" Mary said. "I wish I was here" Ophelia said. "It wouldn't be different if you had been here or not" Mary said.

"Can everyone gather around?" Lord Grantham said, making everyone look up. Mary and Ophelia walked over to their father "As of now, we are officially at war" Lord Grantham said. Everyone gasped and Ophelia reached for Mary's hand, shocked by the news her father just gave her. 

...

authors note; i have decided that this story will be until like season 4 and then follow some original plot based on s5/6 

please comment and vote what you think of the story so far :)

also sorry if updates are slow, i'm trying to update all my books until they have equal parts