Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

My eyes were still wide as I looked down, the weight in my pocket. 

Well, that's fairly embarrassing.

"I agree." Griffith nodded. "They should have done that."

He sat down at the table, eyes following me even as he moved and beckoned for us to sit as well.

Lowell watched him for a moment, I felt a little sick as sat down, he gritted his teeth and sat down beside me. Someone appeared to the side of us and calmly set down some tea things from a tray in front of us and moved away.

I watched them, slightly baffled.

"Why did you kidnap us." Lowell asked in a flat tone.

"Kidnap?" He seemed put off by that word.

Lowell put his hands on the table, the shackles on his wrists jangling against the cold marble loudly, the clean silver glimmering in the light of the chandelier.

"Well, I suppose it does give off certain vibes."

Lowell glared darkly at him. "Why?" He pressed, irritated.

Griffith smiled at the him as though he was holding something back. "Someone who rips the chains out of the bed of the truck really shouldn't need to ask such a question."

"You predicted I would get stronger?" He looked confused.

Griffith said nothing.

Lowell bristled. "Answer at least one of my fucking questions."

He rapped his fingers on the table while his tea was poured for him. "Nothing too terrible, you needn't be so frightened."

"I'm not-"

"I've found a good mate for you." He spoke easily.

I wasn't sure what it meant but Lowell blinked, perplexed into silence.

"A mate?" I asked in a murmur.

Griffith's attention turned to me. "Nothing too complicated, it's really just like a wife, except you'll go into heat after engaging with each other until you're bound together and there's no divorce." He smiled.

"Heat?" I glanced at Lowell, he looked a little uncomfortable and looked away.

"Have you ever watched an animal documentary?" Griffith asked, seemingly humoured by my naivety.

Heat. As in constantly feeling needy for the other person, wanting him to touch me, his hands on you, pinned down by him, impaled so deeply I couldn't breathe, needing more, seemingly addicted, itchy, nervous, and each earth shattering orgasm then too soon my body begins to want more again. My face burned.

"Why are you explaining this..." He hissed. "If you want a leech to wipe his mind why bother?"

I looked up at Lowell slowly with a sort of confused horror that I'd never felt before, but I swallowed it all and cleared my expression, turning back to Griffith.

"Whim." He replied easily.

"You choose your mate and then... How? How do you do it?"

He seemed pleased I was interested, as though it was merely a cultural thing. "Well, forced matings are a little different. One needs to bite first in order to feel the heat."

I blinked. "I see..."

Lowell glanced down at me, 

I kicked his leg hard and he winced and jolted, frowning at me. "Max."

"No." I replied sharply, flushed as anything.

I got up and reached for the teapot, pouring us tea as though it would help me calm down.