Chapter 23 - Fish bowl wars!

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Casey ran over to me and held up a small wooden bowl. It was filled with rice and had salmon over the top.

"Since when do you cook?"

"Nova taught me! Try it, please!" She snickered in delight. 

I glanced at Nova, who wasn't paying attention to us at all. Then back to the fish. It looked alright, and Casey was extremely excited. 

"Got a fork or a spoon?" I asked.

"Nope! Use your fingies."

"Of course the wolf boy doesn't have silverware…"

I reached into the bowl and grabbed a piece of the fish and some rice. It looked alright. I reached for my mask and hesitated. My eyes glanced at Nova and the new girl. I turned away from them and lowered my mask, then tossed it in. My tongue cringed as it laid in my mouth. There was no fish, no rice, just salt.

"What do you think? Isn't it yummy?"

I spit it out on the ground.

"That was terrible."

"What! No way!" Casey complained.

"I didn't even taste the fish. It was like I put a salt cube in my mouth. What are you trying to do? Kill me? Give me gout?"

"I told you, you added too much salt." Nova called out.

Casey stomped off to Nova.

"You said give it a little drizzle."

"Yes, a drizzle. Not drenching it." 

Casey kneeled down and snatched a bowl at Nova's feet and ran it over to me.

"Try Nova's and tell me who's better." Casey demanded.

"Seriously?" Nova sighed.

"I'm super cereal." Casey said and shoved the bowl at my chest.

I took it and looked it over. It looked the same as Casey's. Which didn't help my appetite. What the hell would a wolf boy know about cooking anyways, it's probably terrible. 

"Well come on." Casey insisted.

"Fine, fine."

I turned away from the group again and lowered my mask. Then I grabbed an even smaller piece of fish and some rice. I tossed it into my mouth and my taste buds exploded. The fish was sweet yet savory. The small crunch of the skin even had its own flavor that mixed in with the fish. 

This was probably the best thing I ever tasted. No, I can't let him know I loved it. 

"Well, what do you think?" Casey asked.

I moved my mask back on and shrugged.

"It's alright. I guess."

"See, the fish just wasn't great is all."

"That doesn't change your salt with a side of fish though." Nova pointed out.

Casey grabbed my bowl, but I held tightly to it. She stopped and looked up at me. Damn, I can't let it go. I'm so hungry too…

"Well, maybe another bite wouldn't hurt to ya know. Determine if it's good."

"Nyx, it's okay, you don't have to be nice if you don't like it."

"No, no, I think it's only fair."

"Then you should try Casey's again. She did work hard." Nova said. I turned toward him and he smirked at me."Unless of course, you just really want to finish my bowl. If that's the case, then have at it. I caught plenty of fish."