Long Distance Love

Autumn, Zurich 1933

It was a Friday, a day which everyone can finally go on crack, or sit back and relax. It was the day of the week which we all can take a break right after work.

It was 2 in the afternoon.

Anna was sitting at her desk, typing away with her typewriter. Click and clack it went, going on for eternity. The repetitive beat was rather hypnotising, making her eyes start drooping. Trying to finish her article so she can have the night to her own, she stretches open her eyes continuously, and forcefully. It was like trying to move your hand while laying on bed, it was weak, so weak that you cannot control it, or feel it.

Her head slowly advanced to the stage of spinning, which was absolutely unbearable. She knew it was due to the lack of sleep, as his boss, Sven, kept loading her with articles to write, especially after the events of the Dada killer. Though her articles were intriguing and getting more popular by day, she cannot stand the burden it gave her these days. Her demanding boss tried to keep up the amount of readers, so she was required to do better everytime.

She finally gave up on her recent coffee-free challenge to herself, as she always needed caffeine, which wasn't really a healthy habit.

She stood up, and went for the door. She opened it gently, as she tried not to waste any energy, and left a gap. Anna projected her voice, "Matt! Matt~ Matthew? Ma-the-eww!"

"Oh, what is it Anna?"

"Oh um please fetch me a cup of coffee!"

"Sure, but just asking, why can't you do it yourself?" Matt asked, at bit astonished the independent woman he knew needed a cup of coffee from the coffee maker just ten meters away from her office.

"Is that a question... or concern of yours?" Said Anna, annoyed due to the exhaustion. It was not usual for her, to be a little rude, but of course, it was her own business, and privacy.

Matt quickly made a cup of coffee for Anna, as he knew, she could get heated up when she's not in the mood, even if that was just a 25% chance. He carried the drink carefully to Anna's office, and upon arrival, he knocked with his knuckles, which was well, a bit painful.

*knock knock knock*

No answer.

*knock knock*

"May I come in?" He asked, while pushing the door open. There, lying on the wooden desk, was Anna, sound asleep.

Matt quietly stepped closer to Anna, and gently tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, Anna..." he whispered.

Anna slowly woke up from her arms that were used as her pillow, she stretches her arms and blinked hard. She looked around, and spotted her colleague beside her desk. She was quite puzzled why he was here, but then she remembered. Her cup of caffeine.

"Oh uh, thanks Matt," she answered briefly. Matt set the coffee on the desk and went out of the room.

The coffee was like magic, as if it were enchanted. Anna soon regained energy and she had quite an acceleration in her articles. By 4 pm, she was done with all three of them.

"Ah," she sighed, rather relieved, "I guess I'm done for the day."

She got up, and went for Sven's office. After he gave his harsh comments, with a few mild compliments, Anna was free to go. She happily dismissed from the office, saying goodbye to Matt and Hilda for the weekend.

Despite gaining freedom again from her work, something was bothering her the whole day. What was it? She didn't want to fuss about it, even though it might be important, but she thought it might be one of other Sven's deadlines. She wiped the idea off, and entered her red car parked outside the office. She sat down, but it seemed the problem drifted back into her mind, making her suspicious if it was not Sven's deadlines. She wondered, was it Amy, the cat she bought for Judit but was passed to her as the owner died, wasn't given any milk in the bowl before she went for work? Or was it the blood donation? No, she can't do it twice in two months. Was it... a meeting? A hangout perhaps? Impossible... right?