27

Evangeline

      I seem to have a constant pattern of anxiety in moments exactly like this. Granted, I never expected anyone like me to have a moment like this let alone multiple.

My friends and twin brother stalked over, the boys trying to look intimidating and Maya giving me an apologetic look.

Tristan watched them, not even giving me a glance as he did so and I just felt that familiar feeling that two worlds I was unaware of were about to crash and burn.

"You made it" Thomas grinned, greeting Tristan as all males do in that 'bro' kind of way.

Cooper and Lucas did the same, only with more tension and glances over at me.

"Heard you finished your midterms already, I envy you dude" Cooper tried, hoping to break the tension.

"I was lucky enough that two of them were online assignments" Tristan chuckled.

Then a moment of silence washed over and I gulped, looking over at Maya who looked as if she were trying to brainstorm ideas. It was a long and uncomfortable silence that was expected and yet, still insufferable to sit through.

"I don't particularly like you, even more so hanging out with my sister, but I'm willing to squash the tension now for her sake. Considering we're in a bar, I thought I'd let that out before I consumed anymore alcohol and continued on with whatever the hell it is that's happening tonight" Lucas finally said and my anger nearly boiled to the brim.

Speaking about me as if I weren't around, as if I were to be some kind of possession to someone. I couldn't even find the words and based off my friends faces, neither could they.

Instead, I looked up at Tristan who didn't even break the intense staring contest he and Lucas were having while his jaw clenched and we all stood there processing the words, probably wondering what was going to be said next.

"I respect you because you're her brother, but I am here as a friend of hers. Consider it squashed and everything else is up to Evangeline" Tristan replied and the heat traveled from my neck up to my ears.

I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that my brother was practically challenging Tristan and Tristan was actually indulging as if I were some item that were to be shared fairly.

I was truly stunned, more than I can put into words.

"Whatever, just don't pull your usual bullshit with my sister and we shouldn't have any problems" Lucas summed up almost like a final warning and the rest of us couldn't help but watch it all unwind right before our eyes.

Tristan didn't say anything but something in his eyes must've assured my brother because the two finally broke their gaze.

"How about some shots?" Cooper sent me a look and I cleared my throat.

"Ye- yes, shots would be...needed" I mumbled and waved Sal over.

We ordered a round and faced one another, still basking in the awkwardness caused by the two idiots with alpha male complex's.

"What a great start to the night, now let's get wasted!" Maya cheered making us all cheers and throw the drinks back, cringing at the burning taste.

The rest of the night everyone drank their asses off.

Well, almost everyone. I had told Sal to give me water after my fourth or fifth one considering someone was going to have to herd these drunks back to the apartment.

"You aren't wasted at all" Tristan pointed a finger at me, a lazy smile on his lips and his cheeks glowing that crimson color.

"Drunk? No, I'm on a good buzz though" I smiled up at him.