"Oh, it was pretty easy. One day I went back to the school to see Miss Sims because I knew she worked late sometimes. Imagine my surprise to walk into the room and find her half dressed in a lip-lock with my dad."

I gasp, covering my mouth. I can't even imagine the shock and hurt Mali must have felt at that moment.

"They both turned and looked at me," Mali continues as if in a daze. "They didn't say anything. They stood there for a moment, looking at me wearing shocked expressions. Then they straightened their clothes and my dad whispered a few words to her before taking my arm and guiding me out to his car."

By now, I am in tears. I want to comfort Mali, but I hesitate, wanting her to get everything out. We are so close to the heart of her problem and I can't let her stop now. Holding her close, I caress her hair, giving her a moment with her thoughts. I can't even begin to comprehend the storm raging in the heart of this beautiful lost soul.

I finally release her and press a hand to her tear-streaked face. "Mali, what did your father say to you?"

She sniffs, wiping her face. "He asked me not to tell Mom."

"He what?" I am incredulous! Completely incredulous! I can't believe he would put his own child in such a position.

"He said he still cared for Mom, but he was in love with Miss Sims. He said as long as Mom didn't know, he would stay, but as soon as she found out, it would be over between him and Mom."

I fight to keep my voice calm and my anger in check. How could he be so selfish? The little jerk! How could he do that to his own child? "What did you do, Mali?"

"At first, nothing. But then . . ."

"Then what?" I press gently. We are so close to the source of the problem.

She looks at me, tears again welling in her eyes. "I got more and more upset as the days passed . . . and I needed to tell someone, so I told a friend. I told her not to tell anyone else, but she told her mother. And somehow it got back to Mom. Mom had no idea that . . . it all started with me. But Dad knew. I should never have been so stupid." She squeezes her eyes shut as fresh tears trail down her cheeks. "It was all my fault."

I hold her hands firmly. "Mali, it wasn't your fault. Your father made the choice to be unfaithful to your mother. And it was wrong for him to ask you to hold something like that inside."

"No!" she shouts, ripping her hands from mine. "I shouldn't have said anything! Because I did, my dad left her! Now she's all alone and it's my fault!"

I growl inwardly. That weaselly little scumbag! "Mali, that's exactly what your father wants you to think. He doesn't want to accept the blame or the consequences for his actions."

She shakes her head and stands, wringing her hands in her hair. "It's my fault! It's all my fault!"

"No, Mali," I say again, my heart breaking for her. As I reach out for her, she pulls away, running from the room.

"Mali, wait!" I cry, running after her.

 * * * 

Adagio blesses the food so the children can start eating. He wonders how Cisely's conversation with Mali is going. He is pretty sure that is why they haven't come down yet, and he hopes she is successful in getting Mali to open up. If anyone can get through to the young girl, she can. He smiles. My Cisely can do anything.

Looking back over his life, Adagio wonders what he'd done to be worthy of having Cisely as his wife. There are no words to describe how happy she makes him. Through the years, they have faced trials, both separately, and then together, and they have made it through them, becoming stronger with each one. He can handle anything life throws at him as long as Cisely is by his side.