1.) The strange encounter

Narrators POV

I was the only person in the park. Tucking a damp strand of my shoulder-length brown hair back behind one ear, I surveyed the abandoned slides and empty benches. It was just past six p.m. on a Friday, but it looked like nobody else wanted to be out in the rain. As I strode briskly forward, icy wind mumbled the tips of my fingers, making me clutch my basketball tighter. Even though we hadn't officially left summer behind, the cold front that had settled over Musutafu, Japan didn't show any signs of leaving.

Soo. . . empty court, Lousy weather. And things at home were just as dismal.

My older sister, Naomi, had just grilled me for nearly an hour after finding out about the "unacceptable" grade I had received on my latest algebra test. When she finally finished, I stormed out of the apartment, making sure to grab my basketball and a water bottle; I planned on being gone for a while. With a sigh, I peered into darkening trees. The rain clouds made it hard to tell how late it was, but I thought I must have been playing for at least an hour

A gust of wind swept across the depressing court and whipped at the swings, which began screeching once again. I frowned; I should call Naomi. I had left without telling her where I was going or when I'd be back, and that was never a good thing, especially when she was already mad at me.

I reached into my right pocket for my phone, but it wasn't there. It wasn't in my left one either. Of course. In storming out, I had forgotten to bring it. What else could go wrong? I took a long sip from my water bottle then set it down and headed after my ball.

I jogged across the court, but at the edge of the woods I skidded to a top. A tall, hooded figure lurked among the trees

The stranger took a step toward me. And then another. And another. My mouth opened and I felt a scream welling up, but all that came out was a little squeak.

People always say in situations of high stress, you're supposed to have a fight-or-flight reaction. Not me. The stranger came closer but instead of sprinting in the opposite direction, I froze. Apparently, in addition to struggling with algebra, I was also screwing up the "stranger danger" lessons Naomi had been drilling into my head since kindergarten.

There was a state prison right outside town. . . what if this was an escaped prisoner? A murder? Was I going to be his next victim of an escaped prisoner murder?

The man's forest-green hoodie shadowed his face. He held my basketball in one hand and a bulky black case narrow at the front and wider at the back—in the other. What did he have stashed in the vase? The remains of his last victim?

"Please don't hurt me." I blurted out. "Naomi would kill me if I, well died".

The stranger stopped short. And then, with an annoyed huff, he held my ball out to me. That's when I realized the mysterious figure was a teenage boy—and probably too young to be a seasoned killer. Underneath the green hoodie, there was a slight roundness to his acne-scarred face that made me think he couldn't be older than seventeen.

"Take your basketball". He commanded as he set the black case on the ground. His voice sounded a little froggy, like he had a cold.

For the first time, we locked eyes. By this point, my vision had adjusted to the dark, and I could see that his eyes were an intense hazel green shade.

"Thank you", I said automatically. Naomi had always taught me to say please and thank you, and although I wasn't sure what the rules on politeness were regarding mysterious strangers, some habits were hard to shake. And still slightly wary, so I took the ball and clutched it tightly to my rib cage.

Meanwhile, now that his hands were free, Green hoodie jammed one of them into the pocket of his sweatpants. What was he reaching for? I leaped back.

He gave me a sour look as he pulled out . . . a cell phone. I started to breathe normally again.

"You play for middle schools around here?" he asked.

"I used to. For Aldera Junior High. My sister made me quit because of my grades."

"The words were out before I could stop myself. Why was I even talking to him?

"That's a shame. You're pretty good." He commented

"Do you play basketball?" I asked.

What was wrong with me? Now I was the one keeping the conversation going.

Instead of answering, Green hoodie scowled down at his phone and gave it a little shake. He patted his pockets, and then wrinkled his nose.

"You don't happen to have a portable charger on you, or something, do you?"

I riffled through my pockets even though I knew one hundred percent I did not have a portable charger on me; I didn't even own one. I did, however, discover a wrinkled packet containing one semi-squished Custard cake. I looked at the packet, and then, for some oddly reasonable reason, I handed it to him. It was not remotely close to what he had asked for, but I guess I thought he looked hungry. Or maybe just sad.

"No charger, but I have this." I said. "It's a Japan snack from Yi soon–the best brand. They're really good."

"Green hoodie stared at me, then at the custard cake, then back at me again. He pressed his lips together like he was making a frown. Or maybe he was contemplating on killing me after all. I gulped.

But then his lips softened into a smile. "Thank you," he said, taking the cake. He paused, and then said it again. Thank you . . . er, what's your name?"

"Oh. Ochako, Ochako Uraraka."

Man, I definitely wasn't supposed to tell him my name. I wanted to hit my palm against my forehead. Idiot! 

He squinted as a pair of headlights lit up the street outside the court. He took a step back toward the woods, and his eyes darted in every direction, "If anyone asks, I was never here, okay?" 

Alright, now that was definitely sketchy.

"Not a problem," I said, "Since I don't even know who you—"

"Thanks Ochako, Ochako Uraraka."

With that, he disappeared. And I was back to standing in an empty park—still cold, still damp, still alone, and now bewildered as well. For a minute, I stared into the woods, replaying our conversation in my mind and wondering where he was going with his black case in this chilly rain. Then the drizzle began to turn into heavier rain, and thunder rumbled. I shook myself. What was I doing? What time was it? Naomi is going to kill me!

Inhaling sharply, I clutched my basketball and started running home. As my sneakers thudded against the the damp pavement, I pushed my lingering thoughts of Green Hoodie from my mind

After all, it wasn't like I would ever see that guy again.

I Started a new story AGAIN! But I swear I will finish it and give it more attention I'm liking it so far anyways bye have a good morning, day, or night wherever you are!

FYI: They are not gonna get together fast ;-;