9. dilemmas

[best laid plans: season 5, episode 9]*

*.·:·. .·:·.*

        "So what are you gonna do?" Rose asked Deke, as they made their way to Voss' cell. "I mean, Coulson left this up to you, so it must be important."

Deke bit his lip, "I don't know," he said shortly.

"Oh, right, right," Rose said shaking her head. "I'm talking too much in this situation. I'm sorry, this is a family matter." She clapped her hands together awkwardly. "I will go find Daisy and help her with the repairs-"

Deke placed a hand on her shoulder, "No, Rosie, don't go. You're basically my family. I want you here."

Rose felt the tiniest bit of heat rise in her cheeks as she nodded, "Okay. If that's what you want. I'll stay," she answered. She gulped, trying to swallow the lump in her throat, she could see the outline of the weapon in his pocket. She knew what was gonna come next. "You're gonna kill him aren't you?" she asked in a low whisper as if saying the words quieter would make them less impactful.

"I don't know," Deke repeated. "I really don't know, Rosie."

She took a deep breath, as his hand slipped off of her shoulder, "I'll support what decision you make," Rose whispered as they approached the cell. She let him move closer to the cell, while she lingered behind.

Voss instantly took note of the weapon that Deke had in his hand, "You're upset. I don't blame you," he rambled. "Think about what you're doing here."

"You killed him," Deke stated a blank expression on his face.

"Me and Owen were lockstep in almost everything," Voss said. "Always agreed to pull these people out of the past, but once they got here, we never saw eye-to-eye on that. He thought they'd come with some grand solution. I thought killing them was the solution. You know how stubborn your old man could be."

Deke blinked, "You were his best friend."

"Yeah," Voss said sourly. "Up until the day he tried to end that argument for good," he explained, getting as close to the walls of the cell as he could. "Came at me with a knife, and the knife ended up in his throat. You know he was capable of it. Not how I wanted it to go down, but I did what I had to do."

Deke held the gun up to Voss' forehead. Rose gasped lightly but tried to maintain her composure. "It was all for nothing. You haven't done a damn thing!" Deke cried.

"We survived a decade in this hellscape! You have no idea what we went through, what we sacrificed for this," Voss said, practically pleading for his life. "And now the people responsible are upstairs. We could finish it, but you want to kill me? In front of her, of all people." Voss pointed a shaky finger at Rose.