The Legacy - Part 19

Start from the beginning

As Adagio becomes lost in her kiss, he feels his life can be no more perfect. His family is whole again, and the woman he loves with all his heart and soul again has his child growing inside her. Soon they will go back home to Italy, and he promises himself that he will always treasure each and every second of his life with his family, because that is how often the blessings come, each and every second.

Eighty-three

Treviso, Italy

Holding hands, Adagio and I gaze at one another as Sadie and Peter repeat their vows and are pronounced husband and wife. I have always considered the veranda the most romantic spot at our home, and it is the perfect place for my cousin's intimate ceremony.

Before we moved back to Italy, Sadie and I kept in touch with each other through phone calls every few days. Sadie told me about Peter Grant and their growing feelings for each other. Before long the two fell in love and became engaged. We invited them over for dinner, and as soon as we met Peter, we could tell he was a great guy. It was easy to see how much the two loved each other.

Velma was overjoyed to get to know her sister. Pete and Dona were also happy to meet the niece they never knew existed, and they welcome her to the family.

The day before we were to move, Sadie called me with some exciting news that would bring me even more joy. Peter had received a phone call from an old colleague whose wife was from Venice. They moved back to Venice last year to be near her family and he opened a medical practice a few miles outside of the city. He offered Peter a partnership, and after pondering long and hard about it, Peter and Sadie felt he should accept the offer. Peter's mother, Helen, would be moving with them as well. She and Sadie had become very close.

Sadie and I were ecstatic about the move, and Adagio and Peter were equally happy because they knew how close we had become. I insisted that they have the wedding at our home and the couple happily accepted. Peter told us about the home that came with the practice. They would only live thirty minutes away from us. And the thought of actually having family close brought me a joy I couldn't describe.

Velma was a little saddened to see Sadie move so far away after just developing a relationship with her, but she and Ted promised to visit, which meant we would get to see them again. Adagio surprised them with tickets to come to the wedding.

Adagio kisses my hand just as Sadie and Peter share their first kiss as husband and wife. The love radiating from them is so tangible you can feel it, and we know the feeling well. Finding the person who makes you whole is everything.

* * *

Cisely turns to Adagio and smiles, and he can see a peaceful glow radiating about her. She is so beautiful and he never tires of looking at her. Almost seven months along now in her pregnancy, she can't get around as well as she could with the other pregnancies because she is larger than usual. This is due to the fact that she was carrying twins.

They couldn't believe it when her midwife told them.  Cisely told Adagio that when she was younger, her father mentioned there were several sets of twins in his family, but she'd never had reason to think about it and had actually forgotten. Adagio never imagined they could be so blessed. It is a dream come true.

Eighty-four

After the festivities are over and everyone has gone, we relax on the veranda.

"It was a wonderful wedding," I say as Adagio takes my hand.

"It was. I can tell they will be very happy together."