Detention

By the next morning word had gotten around about the twins and Harry's lifelong Quidditch ban. Several looks of disgust were sent their way as they sat in the common room, culminating in the Angelina and Katie cornering the three of them as they tried to escape to the great hall for an early lunch.

"How could you? Our team is down three of our best players, how are we supposed to win a match, let alone the cup?" Angelina ranted, reminding the three boys very much of Oliver Wood.

"McGonagall was only going to give us detentions, it was Umbridge that gave us the lifelong flying ban." Harry tried to explain to the frustrated chaser.

"Then go apologise, promise more detentions, grovel, do anything to get the ban lifted!" She shouted, drawing the attention of the rest of the common room.

"You think that old hag is going to listen to anything we say?" George laughed, though it sounded hollow.

"She didn't even want the team to reform, there is no chance we are allowed back now." Fred chimed in.

"Sorry Angelina." Harry said, patting the despondent looking captain on the shoulder awkwardly.

"Can you at least lend your firebolt to the new seeker? We need every advantage we can get to win against their tactics." She asked, a hopeful look on her face.

"I don't think so, she locked our brooms away" Harry replied, strangely glad this was the case. The broom was special to him, and he didn't like the idea of someone else using it.

"Oh, well I will ask her if she will." Angelina stated confidently. "I'm sure she will be fine with us using the broom as long as it isn't you flying."

"Uh okay," Harry crossed his fingers surreptitiously, feeling slightly bad that he hoped her petition would fail.

"Come on Harry, less talking, food awaits." Fred cut in, dragging both Harry and George out the portrait hole. "Thanks for the talk Angie, hope you get good replacements."

Angelina's outraged face disappeared behind the closing portrait, and both Fred and George sighed in relief as they made their way down the tower towards the great hall.

"Dunno what you see in her Fred" George quipped, breaking the silence between the three of them. "She is just as bad as Wood, and at least he was hot."

"Did you not see the passion there!" Fred exclaimed, "That fire! Imagine that all directed to me" He pretended to swoon into Harry who caught him, laughing at the twins antics. The tension dissolved, they carried on towards the great hall, laughing at Fred's overt declarations of Angelina's many beauteous traits.

----------

A joyful afternoon with the twins soon gave way to anxiety, as George left to his detention just before dinner. Two hours later Harry nervously made his way to the fourth floor arriving at Umbridge's office door at five minutes to seven. Though this wasn't his first detention with the toad-like teacher, he knew that she would be especially harsh with him after the Quidditch fiasco.

The door opened and a subdued George left the room, cradling his left hand. He gave Harry a weak smile before walking off down the corridor. Harry watched him round the corner before stepping forward into the classroom.

"Sit Mr Potter. You know what to do"

Hours passed with no sound apart from the scratching of the quill and the occasional drip of blood.

Just as the pain was getting too much to handle a small hem hem made him look to the front of the room.

"Your hand Mr Potter" Umbridge said sweetly, "Let us see how the message is sinking in."