chapter 17

I followed Eren through the hallways, light began to stream through the tall windows as we walked past each one, the corridors seemed long but his pace was brisk and purposeful, he looked behind me and then his eyes fell down to my hand.

He grabbed me tightly and his cheeks flushed into a light shade of red. I was bewildered however, I played along, wondering where he was going with this.

We turned down hallway after hallway, ending up in a part of the building I was unfamiliar with.

We finally stopped moving after going up countless floors of steep, stone steps. My lungs begged for a break but, Eren looked back at me with a grin.

He opened a small door in front of us and we both squeezed through it. I instantly felt a waft of air hit my face and an intense flicker of light across my eye, I took a moment to adjust myself and I heard Eren laugh lightly next to me,

'Look!' He pointed in front, I directed my gaze and my eyes landed upon acres of field and miles of sky. The sky was blue with a slight tinge of purple towards the bottom, I breathed deeply. The air was clear, it was different at this height.

We were on top of the roof, I could almost see everything that I'd never noticed before.

Hé let go of my hand and he sat down on the tiles on the roof below our feet, I carefully perched next to him and couldn't manage to tear my eyes away from the view in front.

'I come up here sometimes.' He paused.

'It's quiet.' He looked up into the sky in front as if he was searching for more words, or something I couldn't quite understand.

I wasn't sure what to say, I wasn't sure as to why I was up here with him. I was thinking about anything but the moment. My mind was unreeling, struggling to relax.

He interrupted my train of thought,

'It will be sunset before the next hour, it's at 5:30 today.' He turned to face me, I didn't look back until a few seconds later.

'We're going to skip dinner?' I asked tentatively,

'Don't act like you care, Y/N.' He chuckled to himself and rubbed his hands on his legs gathering the warmth. I laughed lightly and shook my head at him.

The sun was now directly in front, glaring at us and the fields below. He shifted his body slightly closer to mine; we sat in a peaceful silence waiting for the sky to become cold, the grass to become dark and the light to fade away.

My head lolled to the side and I ended up resting it on Eren's shoulder, his muscles tensed for a moment until he relaxed again, as if relieving his shock. He reached out meekly and grabbed my hand, he squeezed it gently and put it in his own lap, he turned to face me and I was facing him now too,

His eyes were glued to mine, his fingers traced my knuckles and his cheeks became red. His forehead was against my own before I even could even process it. We stayed like this for a few minutes. It was hardly ever quiet, it was hardly ever peaceful around here, but in this moment it was.

Eren switched his position slightly and his head tilted to angle, his hand found its way to the side of my cheek, and he held me gently.

His lips were nearing mine,

Panic filled my insides,

I pulled back and I pulled away.

All I could think about was the Captain.

The fucking Captain.

Every single moment we'd ever shared, at the front of my mind. His lips on my neck, his breath against my skin and his arms around my body.

Fuck.

I slowly looked behind me to avoid Eren's eyes which were staring at mine.

As I tried to focus my line on sight on anything but Eren, I realised the roof overlooked the courtyard and a large window in one of the main corridors; a corridor specifically leading to Levi's office.

I wondered for a moment if anyone saw us, although most people would be at dinner at this time anyway, surely?

Surely?

My breath shook a little and I carefully dislocated with Eren's hands. He turned his head to face the darkness in front of us, the sun had gone down and small lights at the Headquarters' entrance shone below us.

A dreadful silence fell on top of us, an awkward lingering one.

I heard Eren sigh,

'What are those marks on your neck?' He said, with a blank expression, looking into the distance as if he'd been waiting to ask me.

'Oh.' I said, wracking my brain for a response. He turned towards me, I swore I saw a few beads of water forming in his left and right eye but he turned around before I could look back.

'They're from Reiner. When he grabbed my neck.' I said, my hand instinctively resting right where they were.

He looked unconvinced.

'Did someone kiss you?' He asked, hoping I wouldn't give the answer he was expecting.

'No, I promise. I knew they looked like that so I tried to hide them this morning for that reason, I don't want people getting the wrong idea.' I tried to act as natural as I could, as genuine as I could.

'You might wanna keep them out of the Captain's sight, if he thought they were what I did, he'd lose his shit. He always says "relationships and intimacy are only a distraction"' He remained serious for a few moments before smiling at me, he seemed amused by what he said.

I don't know if he believed me, but he seemed to. I smiled back at him and put my arm around his shoulder, hoping he'd forget I dodged his attempt to kiss me.

He put his hand on my back and smiled warmly,

'Sorry if this was weird, Y/N. Thanks for coming with me.'

'It wasn't weird, it was nice, the nicest time I've had in a while.'

I did mean what I said. To an extent.

'We should do it again sometime.' He smiled again and pulled me to my feet.

Our chests ended up inches apart and he had his hand somehow placed upon my chin, he pulled my face towards his own and left a kiss on my right cheek.