Chapter 7: Boötes

Start from the beginning

"New information indeed" Kouen mused, though his eyes were no longer on his brother's face, but rather on the face behind him.

Koumei didn't need to think much to understand his brother's inclination. He was wondering if it was a smart move to have Tolui present in a meeting that could potentially reveal things that she shouldn't know. 

Not for the first time, Koumei wondered why his father had placed Tolui under his care. Didn't the Emperor know that having an enemy princess at the side of his head of strategy would be a bad idea? The duty could have just as easily gone to Kouha who didn't deal with such sensitive matters. 

"It is simply a meal." Koumei finally answered as he motioned for Tolui to take a seat next to him. He was sure that this was simply a formality, and that any serious talks would be held at a later time. At that time, he would have to find someone to watch her. 

The thought made him slightly nervous. He'd already failed once in keeping an eye on her, it was a stroke of luck that she hadn't run away with anything important. If there was another opportunity while he was preoccupied there's no way to say that Tolui wouldn't take it.  

Before Kouen could say anything in protest, there was a knock and a servant announced the arrival of Commander Zhao.

"My princes and lady, may I present the honorable Commander Zhao, Madam Zhao, Lady Zhao, Lady Zhao, and Lady Zhao."

The two brothers looked at each other in surprise, they had only been expecting the commander, not his entire family. Koumei fanned his face slightly faster, glad that he had put the extra effort into looking decent. The men in leadership had grown accustomed to focusing on Koumei's plans and ideas, but their wives and daughters mainly looked at his face and clothes. He knew how to handle opposition against his strategies, but lady gossip often left Koumei at a loss. 

Taking a deep breath, Koumei prepared the only weapons he had, an intimidating intellect and blank face. He was so focused on putting up his own defenses that he almost didn't notice the way Tolui tensed up as the Zhao family made their way into the room. He couldn't blame her, Commander Zhao was an intimidating force to behold, especially since his fleet was responsible for keeping the unsubjugated tribes landlocked and cut off from the sea. Any attempts at naval trade or travel were harshly blocked by Zhao's ships. It wouldn't be that far a stretch to assume that Tolui might have crossed paths with the commander before.  

Commander Zhao quickly strode up to the table and sat, but his wife and daughters lagged behind. Koumei wasn't sure if they faltered out of respect or if their stylish clothing restricted their footsteps. Either way, Koumei couldn't help but slightly smile as their pace cutely reminded him of waddling ducks.  

Perhaps that was the ladies' intention all along.

Koumei pulled his eyes away from the Zhao ladies and glanced at Tolui, hoping to read her expression and find out how she felt about the commander, but her eyes were not on him. Tolui seemed to be completely fixated on the youngest Lady Zhao, a strange mixture of emotions gripped her face. Her lips were pursed with forced pleasantness, but a familiar envy seemed to simmer in her eyes. 

Forcing down a bubble of laughter, Koumei cleared his throat. Something about Tolui being jealous of the girl's clothing just seemed unbelievably funny. 

Kouen glanced towards his brother, definitely catching his laughter, but Koumei averted his eyes and brought his fan closer to hide his face. His new revelation about Tolui would be his to keep. It felt like he had gotten a quick peek into the mind of the strange hostage that often confused him.

After all, it would only make sense that Tolui would be envious of the fashion the wealthy of the capital enjoyed. They had ready access to all sorts of fabrics and dyes, while Tolui most likely had limited resources back in the Plains.