(6) Red -Pheonix pt.3-

"I hope you know that this is a horrible idea, Mir," I say, using Mirabel's nickname.

"That's where you're wrong, (nn). You see, tonight is the second anniversary of when we finished re-building Casita. AKA, the biggest celebration of the year." Mirabel explains. "What better day to confess your feelings to Camilo? It'll be like a fairytale!"

"Exactly." I flatly say. "This is real life, not some fairytale."

Mirabel spins me around to make alterations to a different side of my dress. She begins stitching and she speaks up. (I had always admired Mirabel's expert ability to multi-task) "(Yn), this is your chance. Seize your moment!"

"What if Camilo doesn't like me that way? Then things will be awkward between us forever!" I sigh.

Mirabel chuckles to herself. "Trust me, Camilo definitely likes you that way."

"How do you know?"

"Girl, have you seen the way he looks at you? It's obvious- stop squirming-" Mirabel nudges me.
"-that he's head over heels for you!"

"Really?"

Mirabel cuts the final string on my gown, finishing it. She stands up and turns me to face the mirror. "Positive."

I gasp at my reflection. Mirabel had fixed up an old red dress that had belonged to Dolores, and it looked amazing. The skirt had been hemmed so it was right below my kneecap, and deep orange strings embroidered what looked like flames running along with the fabric. Mirabel had even used the red, orange, and yellow feathers she's stolen from Antonio's room, to adorn the off-the-shoulder sleeves and rim of the skirt. "Oh, Mirabel...it's beautiful!!" I spin around in the dress. "It looks like a..."

"...a phoenix?"

"How'd you know?" I ask, genuinely curious as to how Mirabel knew about Camilo's nickname for me.

"I've heard it once or twice. I kinda picked up that it's your thing." Mirabel says with a smirk.

I smile and throw my arms around her. "Thank you so much!"

"It's no trouble," Mirabel says hugging me back. "Now let's get you out there."

Mirabel guides me out of the nursery and we walk to the stairs that lead down into the courtyard where the celebration was being held. Casita was beautifully decorated and was happily letting children slide down its railings, swinging its shutters to the beat of the music, and welcoming the citizens of Encanto into its comforting walls.

People were already dancing with one another, and my heart skips a beat when I see Camilo happily dancing among them, occasionally shape-shifting into different children to make them laugh.

Mirabel gestures to the stairs. "You got this, (nn)." She says giving me a thumbs up.

I take a deep breath and begin my descent down the stairs. As I walk I notice Mirabel clap, and in response, Casita shines light upon me. I feel people begin to notice me and stare at me in awe. I try not to look nervous, but my eyes suddenly land on Camilo. His eyes were wide and his cheeks were red as he gazed at my gown, then my face.

I get a bit flustered and in doing so I misstep and trip down the stairs. Right before I'm about to hit the ground, Camilo catches me in his arms and gives me a small smile, the same way he did when I first arrived here. "Careful." He warns.

"Everyone saw that, didn't they?" I nervously ask.

"Nah..." Camilo tried to reassure me that nobody saw me trip, but I raise my eyebrow at him as though to say, don't lie to me. "Okay, maybe a few did." He concludes. "It doesn't matter though. Nobody could've possibly paid attention to one tiny trip instead of your beauty."

My cheeks flush red. "Huh?"

Camilo's cheeks turn the same shade of red as my dress. "Oh...j-just that you look..." Camilo stumbles over his words before sighing. "You look beautiful, (Yn)."

I smile at the flustered boy. Camilo hardly ever got flustered; after so many years of shape-shifting, he had become quite good at smooth-talking and knowing what to say. 

"Thanks," I say. "Mirabel made this dress for me. Isn't it lovely?"

"Yeah." Camilo gazes at the dress and then looks back at me. "It makes you look like a phoenix."

"It was Mirabel's idea. I think it's neat." I chuckle, not wanting the conversation to become awkward.

We both stand there looking at one another. An uncomfortable silence washes over us. I rock back and forth on my feet as Camilo scratches the back of his neck. Camilo slowly extends his hand out for me to take. I stare at him with wide eyes and rosy cheeks. "(Yn), may I have this dance?"

I try to say yes but no words come out. I quickly nod instead and accept his offer. Camilo leads me to an open spot on the dance floor and we begin to move to the rhythm of the music. We spin around together and smile. Camilo winks at me before twirling me around and then dipping me backward. I meet his gaze and we stare into each other's eyes. Camilo doesn't lift me back up and I stay in the dipped backward position, as though we were frozen in time.

Even the music seems to quiet down until the only thing I'm able to hear is my heartbeat. He suddenly lifts me back up and I'm sucked back into reality. Camilo pulls me close to his chest. Our noses are close to brushing against each other, and I can feel Camilo's warm breath on my skin. I want him so bad. I could tell he felt the same way when I looked into his beautiful eyes.

It's now or never...

"Camilo, I-"

"(Yn), I-"

We both laugh after speaking at the same time before taking a few steps away from each other. I clutch onto my gut, I'm laughing so hard. I quickly regain my posture.

"You first," I say with a giggle.

Camilo chuckles. "No, you. I insist."

"No, you!"

Camilo and I laugh again before I bring up a suggestion. "How about we just say it at the same time?"

"Deal," Camilo says with a nod.

We slowly count down from three.

"Camilo, I have a crush on you!"
"(Yn), I have a crush on you!"
We both blurt out at the same time.

"Wait really?!" We say in unison.

"Why didn't you say so sooner?" Camilo asks.

"I was so scared you were gonna say you didn't like me back! I didn't want things to be weird." I explain.

"So did I!" Camilo exclaims. "Ugh, I wish we would've just told each other sooner. It feels like we wasted so much time."

I gently grab Camilo's hands and hold them close to his chest. "I know how we can make it up," I say with a smirk.

Camilo returns the smirk and leans his face close to my own. "And what's that, phoenix?" He asks just above a whisper.

"Kiss me." I softly say, bringing my lips dangerously close to his own.

Camilo doesn't say another word as he collides our lips.