Chapter Fourteen-- any more surprises?

walking away, I had to resist the urge to run back and beg them to come with me. I was scared. terrified, actually. but, instead, I walked boldly towards the back of the lot. descending the stairs, I started to feel like I was being watched. I reached the bottom of the stairs and followed the tunnel at the bottom. it turned and doubled back on itself so many times I couldn't have told you what direction I was facing anymore. finally, I came to a dead end. I was harshly reminded of when we were first looking for Valgoth. is this a good idea? I asked him.

it's never a good idea to disturb a Shadin dragon. but you were right. if it is one of the good ones, we must try to acquire their help.

Did you know any Shadin before?

yes...

he didn't elaborate and I didn't ask him to. we might share a form, but that didn't mean I wouldn't let him keep his own secrets. following an instinct, I put my hand on the stone. "I know you're in there, Dragon of the Old Days. I want to speak with you. I mean you no harm. let me in. please?" I yelped as I felt the floor drop from under my feet and suddenly I was back in the cavern where I first encountered the Shadin. the darkness condensed in front of me,becoming darker and thicker until it pushed outward again and a woman stood before me. she was gorgeous, and looked human. aside from the way her wavy brown hair slowly blew back and forth behind her like she was under water, she had beautiful,grey-blue eyes and features that would rival a model. "welcome back, Mary Watchers."she spoke with an echo that made it sound like many were speaking at once. "it has been long since a being dared visit me twice. the last one to do so is also here."

"What is your name?"I asked.

"I am Shada."

"Shada,I wish your help against Helgoth and his army."

"I fear you have wasted your time, dear girl."she said. "for I despise both brothers equally and will not help you."

"then,don't help Valgoth. help me. my family is in danger, Helgoth threatens to take my father and if he does, I fear the end of th eworld is closer than any of us realize."

"How do you suppose I help protect your father? I am not a bodyguard."

"I'm not asking you to be."my voice was wavering, and I struggled to get it under control. "but you can help prevent his capture."

"why should I?"

"Why wouldn't you?"I retorted. "this isn't about Valgoth and Helgoth. I'm not asking this of you to help us in the war, I'm asking you to help me save my family."

Shada's face darkens. "family?"she whispers in a disbelieving tone."How dare you talk to me about family. I lost everything! my husband, my daughter! all because of the very monster that you host!"her voice had gotten louder and she was screaming at me. I stared at her, but not because of her rage. something she'd said stuck in my mind. husband,daughter. I looked more closely and started to see familiar features. a small, straight nose, her eyes were more gray than brown but the shape was very similar to... "what were their names?"

Shock covered her face. "what?"

"the names of your husband and daughter."

"why?"

"because,I think... just tell me their names, please?"

"my husband was Felorian. my daughter..."she swallowed. "My daughter's name was Hellenaria."

I'd suspected, but it still came as a bit of a shock. "Shada, I understand what it feels like to lose your family. but... if I had to guess, I'd say you never buried them."