Chapter Thirteen- revelations and rescue

I've edited the end so that Mary goes in alone instead of with the others. it goes better with what I have in mind.

——————————————————————————————————-

I woke up with my hands bound on either side of my head and my legs bound together by something cold and metallic. I wasn't gagged, but that didn't help me. I was laying on something hard, like stone. the problem was, I could still feel the little red pocket knife in my pocket, but I couldn't reach it because my hands were bound by my head. I moved my legs experimentally and felt the metal scrape just above my feet. I was wishing I was one of those people who could displace their joints and put them back with little pain when a door opened. only then did I realize how totally dark it had been. footsteps descended and I figured I must be in a basement. "I don't think I have to tell you that tying up people in basements is rude."I said.

the footsteps paused, and then whoever it was chuckled. "you are more like your sister than I would have imagined."I kept my eyes half closed as the light turned on so I only had to blink once or twice to adjust. I looked over to see Maximillian Taylor- better known, these days, as Helgoth. "well, hiya gramps."I said, falsely bright. "isn't this a nice surprise."

"so you were finally told the truth."

"well, I guess it just started seeming important."I retorted sarcastically.

"you are in no position to be snappy, dear girl."

"guess what, Gramps? sarcasm isn't the only thing I've picked up from my sister."

He started laughing. "oh, dear girl. you are insuppressable, aren't you? well, that's good. you see, the being who wants you wants you alive and kicking."

"oh, so you prefer a little bite to your hosts, do you?"

"Host? oh, no. no, you've much too much of my brother in you for my taste. but then, you really don't understand what I want."

"you want a new host. why else would you kidnap Maya?"

"I didn't say I didn't want a new host. this one is a bit... past his expiration date. but what you don't seem to understand is that, it's not you or your sister or your cousin I want."

"then, who?"

he leaned closer, a small, smug smile on his face. "Fiernon."

my eyes widened. "Dad? you want Dad? but why?"

"easy. he's my closest living blood, he's powerful and, most of all, losing him will cripple your precious big sister and leave her basically helpless against me. and you, well, you're not much use anyway, are you?"

I clenched my fists, trying not to let him know he'd gotten to me. maybe it was cliche for me to feel like I was useless compared to my older sister, but sometimes I did. "so, why keep me captive?"

"Oh, I've no intention of keeping you captive. I'm going to kill you, and then I'm going to drop you on their doorstep and probably enrage Fiernon enough for him to come out."

I actually started laughing, which I know shocked and angered Helgoth. "you're forgetting something. Fiernon isn't the only powerful and dangerous dragon behind those walls."

"No?"

"no. and, guess what? they're all my family. Valgoth himself, combined with my sister's power. not to mention, my mother, my grandfather, my uncle, my cousin, oh, and a couple of good friends of mine. so, kill me if you want, but you will never win. never."

Helgoth watched me with narrowed eyes, then he began to laugh. he didn't say anything else. he just laughed and walked away, up the stairs, still laughing his evil butt off. it unnerved me.