Chapter 11- rescue... or trap?

After hanging up with Mary, I forced the pace. Raven and Mark both questioned me, but I just shook my head and continued on with grim determination. That is, until we came to a cliff. I pulled Rocky up abruptly. “crap.”I exclaimed as I was thrown forward and found myself,thankfully still in the saddle, but staring down the dizzying chasm. “Rocky, back up, please.”I requested shakily. When she did, I took a deep, steadying breath. “what now?”Raven asked.

“I don't know.”

“what's that?”Mark pointed. In the distance there was a dark line crossing the chasm. “you have got to be kidding me.”I led the way towards it. “seriously?”I asked, incredulous. Right there was a flimsy-looking wooden bridge. And I thought these were only found in remote countries and Indiana Jones movies. Coming up with a plan, I dismounted. “alright, I guess this is our only way across. Here's what we're going to do. Raven is gonna go first, then we'll send the horses.”

“not all of us have Obsidian dragons in disguise.”Raven said. “Lore is not gonna go across the bridge willingly.”

“then, we'll tie her reins to Rocky's saddle. Rocky can drag her across if she has to. Actually, it's probably best that way. Rocky can Shift if the bridge falls, and keep Lore and Tempest from falling with it. The point is, I don't want to put more strain on the bridge than necessary.”

“alright, fine. I see your point. So, me, then the horses, then you and Mark, right?”

“right.”

without any further comment, she trotted across the bridge. I swallowed my nausea as the bridge swayed under her. Raven, though, didn't seem to care. We tied the horses one behind the other and I sent Rocky off with a kiss on the nose. She stepped carefully onto the bridge, which creaked and swayed. I held my breath as they made their way across. When they were safely on the other side, I stepped up to the edge of the bridge.

And froze.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't make myself step onto this flimsy,rotting wooden bridge knowing it would sway and creak under me. “what's wrong? Scared of heights?”Mark teased from behind me. I didn't answer. “really?”he asked seriously. “alright.”he stepped around me and onto the bridge, turning to me, he reached out his hands. Without thinking, I took it. He pulled me, gently but firmly, onto the bridge. And I let out a small scream and my grip tightened on his hand. “it's okay. Look at me.”I did, and his melt-me brown eyes were soothing. “it's okay. Just follow me,okay?”he took a step and I did too. The bridge swayed and, alarmed, I looked away from him and down. “no, no. Hope? Hope, look at me. Don't look at the water, look at me.”slowly, I looked back at him. We took a few more steps, him still walking backwards and keeping my eyes locked with his. The bridge swayed harder and I yelped. Unbalanced, I would have fallen if not for Mark stepping toward me and wrapping his arms around my middle. My hands gripped his shoulders, but I was still shaking and not feeling very secure. “I don't want to fall.”I whimpered pathetically.

“Hope, look at me.”he took a step back as the bridge steadied and his hands gripped my elbows as mine gripped his forearms. “You're not gonna fall. I won't let you.”I started to look down again, but he stopped me. “Hope, look at me. Just at me.”we locked eyes again. “I will never let you fall.”he promised me. My eyes stayed on his as we made our way across the rest of the bridge. When we reached solid, safe land again, it took me a moment to release Mark. When I did, I looked over at Raven, who looked equal parts shocked and triumphant. I rolled my eyes at her and mounted Rocky. “no time to waste. Maya's in danger. If Baen gets her to Helgoth, the world is lost.” Instead of asking questions, they mounted their own horses and we set off again.

It was soon after that I realized we had no real idea where to find Baen. I shook my head at my lack of proper planning and pulled up, prompting my companions to do the same, pulled out my phone and dialled Cassidee's number. She'd given it to me before we left. “Hello?”