The Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

"I'll tell him. But I'm still fighting. I shouldn't be showing enough for them to be hurt." I tell her, determined to get my revenge, and avenge Riley and our parents. The rest of the day, Julie has me help her organize the extra food and supplies, and help her with dinner. She will only let me lift light stuff even though I know I can still lift heavier things. I'm scared how people are gonna be when I have a belly.

At dinner, Alma and Dolores look like they wanna spill the beans, but thankfully they don't. Bruno seems worried, playing footsies to get my attention, but I'm a nervous wreck. I barely eat dinner, earning a whispered reminder from Julie that I'm eating for 4 now. Once dinner is done, Bruno stops me from leaving. He lifts my face and sees the nervousness in my eyes.

"Amor, what's wrong?" He asks, kissing my knuckles. I take a deep breath and tell him I wish to speak to him privately. He brings us to our spot by the river, then cups my cheek once there. "What's going on, Bebita? You're starting to worry me." He tells me, looking me in the eyes. I take a deep breath, then take both of his hands in mine.

"Love, something wonderful, amazing, and quite frankly miraculous has happened. While helping Dolores today, she noticed a sound. Coming from me." I tell him. He seems lost, so I take his hand, and place it on my lower belly. His eyebrows furrow. "Papi, I'm pregnant. You're going to be a father." I tell him, heart pounding. His eyes widen, and he seems to freeze. If this was an internet meme, he'd have a buffering symbol on him right now. He suddenly drops to his knees, and gently cradles my hips.

"You're... You're having our baby?" He gasps, near tears. I chuckle and sniffle, overwhelmed by how happy I am.

"Close. I'm having our babies." I laugh. He looks up at me in shock. When he asks how many, I smile, "Dolores heard three heartbeats. We're having triplets!" Tears fall from Bruno's eyes, and he looks back to my belly. He starts to softly kiss it as he cries. He mumbles words I can't hear, but I pick out a few: Love, Protect, and Cherish. He suddenly looks up to me.

"Marry me, Rose. Right now!" He says, standing up. I look at him in shock.

"Are you asking me solely because you knocked me up?" I ask, knowing the answer but needing to hear him say it.

"Absolutely not. I love you, to the ends of the earth and back. I've been wanting to ask you, but never seemed to find the perfect timing. With you telling me your carrying our children, how could I time it better?" He says, kissing my knuckles with so much love. I'm filled with so much love and happiness that I sob.

"Yes. Yes, I'll marry you! Right now!" I laugh. He kisses my forehead, then calls out to Dolores. He asks her to either have her and Mariano, or Leo and Luisa, or whomever says yes first, to meet us at the church and be our witnesses. We head over, and I'm giggling from giddy excitement.

"I know this is probably rushed, and not how you imagined your wedding would go. But I promise, after the fight, I'll give you a proper big wedding. With flowers, our whole family, everything your dream wedding would be! Not only do I want to marry you, I..." Bruno trails off. I wait for him to continue. He takes a breath, then says, "I want to make sure that no one sees our children as bastards. That they are a hundred percent Madrigals." He looks at me and I feel his other meaning: if he doesn't survive the fight, the kids and I will still be Family Madrigal.

We make it to the church and find Father Flores is still in his office. We tell him we wish to marry now, and have witnesses on the way. He seems to be a little weary of it, thinking that we are rushing. Once I tell the Father that I'm expecting children, he pauses. He nods, and tells us to meet him in the chapel. I smile at Bruno, and he kisses my forehead.

An hour later, Bruno and I are before Father Flores, waiting on our witnesses. I start to worry, but soon, Leo and Luisa come bursting thru the door. They run down the aisle to us, and I can't help but laugh.

"What the hell Rose!? Why are y'all having a shotgun wedding!?" Leo pants, clutching his side. Luisa holds up a finger and sits in a pew, catching her breath. Once she's caught her breath, she asks why so soon.

"Leo, you were right." I smile at him, placing a hand on my stomach. Luisa's looks confused while Leo's expression goes through a slow realization. "Triplets." I smile. Leo and Luisa's mouths drop, then they hug me and jump around. Father Flores reminds us why we're here, so he begins a shortened version of the wedding ceremony. Bruno and I are about to say our vows when the door flys open. Riley on the other side, foot up like she Sparta kicked the doors open. She runs down the aisle, looking mad. Camilo slides in, tripping and fumbling after her.

"Getting married and didn't even invite your little sister!?" Riley pouts. Camilo catches up and wheezes.

"I'm sorry Rye. It all happened quickly. And don't worry, later we will redo it so everyone can join. But since your here, more witnesses can't hurt." I smile. Riley smiles, and stand with Luisa and Leo. Camilo manages to sit next to them, still wheezing from the run. Father Flores goes to give us the traditional vows, but Bruno tells him he has his own. Father Flores nods.

"Rose, ever since the day you jumped through that portal, life has been one adventure after another. You have cared for me when others would run away, made me laugh and smile when I didn't think I could. I vow, before you, our family, and God Himself, I will always love you, cherish you, protect you, and provide for you. No matter what life throws our way, I'll be by your side, ready to face it together." He vows, a tear running down his cheek. I feel a few fall down my cheek as I just say what's in my heart.

"Bruno, you have shown me what real love is. You have given me a second chance at life, a new family, and soon a family of our own creation. You have loved me so thoroughly, I'm not afraid of the future. With you by my side, I can take on the world. I vow to always be by your side, to love and care for you no matter what happens, and not even death can do us part. I love you so much." I vow. Father Flores is wiping a tear away himself. He hands us the rings we bought while waiting for witnesses to arrive, and Bruno and I slip them on each other's fingers.

"Then by the power invested in me by God, I now pronounce you Husband and Wife. You may-" He doesn't get to finish the sentence before Bruno and I kiss hard. The others clap and I can hear Camilo carrying on. When we part, I smile at my family, happy and full of hope. As we step out the church, I look over to the mountain with the crack in it.

"Bring it on, Preston. Your days are numbered." I whisper, then join my family.